Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-28-2003, 06:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to alarmguy66 Send a message via Yahoo to alarmguy66
Question About Power Filters

I recently changed the filters (dual) in my power filter and within 2 days had a nitite and nitrate spike. Now I also added 3 lbs of live rock (test purchase) after the change of filters. These things might be unrelated in causing the spike or they may have built upon each other.

Do you think bacteria will colonize the old filters in such great quantities to affect the nitrite balance? Was adding the rock and changing the filters at nearly the same time a REALLY bad idea?

This is one of those things I never really thought about until I started seeing the after affects.

I seek your wisdom.

alarmguy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 07:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to Smonkey15 Send a message via MSN to Smonkey15
if you took out ALL of the filters in your power filter then you probably threw away a good percentage of the bacteria that breaks that stuff down. you should only change part, or in your case half at a time to preserve some of the bacteria. also, the live rock probably needed to be cured also which means that it will cause an ammonia spike which then means a spike in nitrite/nitrates too. in a couple weeks you will probably be ok again, but for the future don't change all your filters at once and cure the live rock before putting it in the tank. both will affect your levels, unfortunatly you did it all at once!

Figuring out how to keep my fish healthy is like the pethagorean theorem; there is no solution.
Smonkey15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 07:23 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
I normally only change 1 of my filters at a time, say change one this week and then wait until next week to change the other.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote

filter, filters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com