Question about ricordea coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kopitar

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi

Im a begginer regarding corals

I have bought a ricordea coral yesterday and put it in the tank he was doin fine for few hours i set it in the sand and overnight i think he got caught up in water movment flow but today he ended up under a rock ( had a tiny hole between sand and the live rock cause my goby kept digging that spot) he was open all day under that rock but my question is i dont wanna take out the whole aquascape of my 75g since removing that rock will require removing 75% of my tank its just a pain in the .... Will he move by himself and end up coming out of there ?? Do ricordea move ? Im confused i googled it some ppl say yes some say no?

Thanks for the answers

The ricordea mushroom is capable of movement in two ways. The most common is to simply let go and float to a new spot. The second is to "walk" much like an anemone. This however is very slow and doesn't happen often. If it is inflated but not reaching upwards, it may be fine where it is.
As a side note, ricordeas, like all mushroom corals, are not actually corals. They are members of a group called corallimorphs. Essentially, they are somewhere between coral and anemone.

Stuck is a relative term. If a rock fell on and pinned it, I'd call it stuck. If it has wedged itself into a hole, it's only as stuck as it wants to be.

No rock fell on it but like i said since it was a hole created by my goby... It has to move upward maybe half an inch to come out ... Sure hope he's capable even if it takes few days i dont mind.... But how long can they survive without light ? Pretty dark being under a rock all day :(

Can you dig in the sand around it a little without moving all the rock and pull it out? They do need light.

If its not getting any light where its at its eventually going to shrivel up and die. Ive had some do that even when on rocks that were out of the light. They never moved. They just shriveled and looked sickly until i manually move them into the light.

Rhodactis or discosoma mushrooms, I'd say don't worry about it because it'll find light long before it starves. But I had limited experience with ricordea. I only have one (almost two. Has two mouths but hasn't finished splitting yet).
I will say this though. If you attempt to move it and it feels like it is adhering to the rock, stop. You can kill it by damaging its foot.

Back
Top Bottom