Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-01-2004, 10:54 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to toddwess
Thanks for the feedback, loganj. The info you provided about flushing the RO membrane is much appreciated!!! I have no idea to do with this thing when it gets here! Thanks for the pointers.

I'm so NERVOUS about starting salt-water again. I'm going so very SLOW this time! I want to make sure my water is PERFECT this time.

The first fish that will go in the tank are going into quarantien tomorrow for their 4-week stay before they get introduced into the main tank. EVERYONE is getting quarantiened this time!

Thanks again, loganj!
Todd

Old 01-01-2004, 11:31 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to normd
Just to put in my opinion. I agree with the previous posters that clear canisters are important so you can see the state of your sediment filter and DI. I also like a pressure gauge to monitor my membrane and an in-line TDS meter instead of a hand-held.

We have put together a FAQ on what to look for in a filter at http://www.aquariumwaterfilters.com/...ilter_FAQ.html

Norm
Webmaster
http://www.aquariumwaterfilters.com
An AquariumAdvise.com sponsor

Old 01-12-2004, 10:04 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to toddwess
Quote:
Originally Posted by loganj
Toddwess,
That system looks OK. I don't think you got beat on the price since you got all the filter carts with it. Be sure you flush the RO membrane for a few hours before you hook up the DI chamber.
Again - thanks for the advice!

Question - how long do I flush the membrane? It is a 75 GPD system and it has been flushing for 2 hours. Is that enough?

thanks!
todd
Old 01-12-2004, 10:51 PM   #14

Send a message via MSN to medican
I have a RO/DI simaler to the one you are looking at. They work well, I find that clear canesters are not needed but insted a hand held TDS meter to get your DDS. With out I was getting 260 ppm with 1 ppm when you raise aprox 10% you will need to change filters......

P.S.
I have added a permeate pump works great no power needed........
http://www.aquatec.com/new/products_...g/permeate.htm
Old 01-12-2004, 11:17 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to normd
I guess it is a matter of preference.

Frankly, I do not have the time nor the patience to constantly check my output with a handheld TDS. I use an in-line TDS meter which is not a whole lot more expensive than the hand-held. Also, I can't imagine not having clear canisters - I like to see what is going on with my sediment and DI cartridges with a quick look when I walk by my filter.
Old 01-13-2004, 02:34 AM   #16

Frankly,

It does not matter what the filters look like, are they doing the job? You cant tell this by the look. Yes an inline TDS meter does save a little time but it only takes me a couple of minutes every couple of weeks or so with a small hand held meter. My RO/DI unit has been running for over 3 months now and has not come off the 1 ppm TDS yet(with a 90 gal top up water changes ect).
Mine is also puchased from Aqua-safe, no complaints. It also has a built in flush system in it, works well to prolong filters. One thing don't exspect to get your best reading the first time you run it, it takes a couple of days to break in the filters.
Old 01-13-2004, 08:53 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to fernzpat
Medican,

do you have a link to Aqua-safe? I currently looking for a good RO/DI...
Old 01-13-2004, 10:02 PM   #18

OMG...........
I just found this for you fernzpat what a great package I got mine to soon....
ALSO check out the link for the permeate pump small price to pay for what it does...and it does what they say it does.........you can find them on E-Bay search PERMEAT PUMP
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=20684

I would also like to add to what I said earlier. Yes you would need clear canisters if you have color change filters.......but what shade is it really ????? I like a number seems more reliable to me.......

Tags
ro/di

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com