Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-31-2003, 02:01 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Question about RO/DI

I would like to buy a RO/DI system but I don't know much about this. I found one model on ebay and I would like to know what people think about this. Here's the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=20756

Old 12-31-2003, 06:57 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thats the unit I have. Been using it now for 2 months and no complaints. Great delivery time and service!

www.panhandlereefers.com

Join N. Florida Regional Forum
GrndHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 09:34 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
I have a similar unit. The only problem I see with that one is it doesn't have clear canisters. You'll want to be able to see your filters. You also want to be able to see your DI media as it changes color as it exhausts. The DI filter on these units is a bit small and oriented horizontally. If you get a cartridge that isn't full of media, a lot of the water will bypass it. Other than that, my unit produces water with a TDS of about 1 which is about as good as you can expect from any of them.
Old 12-31-2003, 12:44 PM   #4

thanks for the advices!!

Is it simple to install?

Ans how often do I have to clean this (changing filter, etc.)?
Old 01-01-2004, 12:50 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Yes, installing it is fairly simple. It helps if you have a little experience with plumbing, but anyone can do it if they read the directions carefully. You'll want to flush the RO membrane for several hours before you hook up the DI cartridge. The RO is packed in chemicals that will deplete the DI resin very quickly if they aren't flushed out. How often you change the filters depends on the quality of the water that's coming in to the unit. As a general guide though, plan on replacing the sediment and carbon filters every 6 months. The RO membrane should last you a year or longer. The DI resin will change color as it is depleted so you can tell when to change it by looking at it. The best thing to do is invest in a TDS meter. They aren't very expensive and will tell you when the RO/DI units performance is falling off. I would go ahead and order replacement sediment, carbon, and DI cartridges when I ordered the unit. You can wait about the RO membrane until you need one. I would call them and see about getting one with clear canisters though...I don't think it costs much more to upgrade.
Old 01-01-2004, 12:59 PM   #6

wow... what an explanation!!!

I think it convinced me to buy one.

Thank you all for your help
Old 01-01-2004, 04:12 PM   #7

Another question... What's the difference between using water from an RO/DI filter or distilled water? Which one is better?
Old 01-01-2004, 09:03 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to toddwess
While we are judging systems and giving advice, can you tell me what you all think of this one. I bought it on eBay yesterday. I'm going to ask about the clear canister covers, but is there any other advice?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ory=20684&rd=1

Thanks,
Todd
Old 01-01-2004, 09:24 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to astride13
Quote:
Another question... What's the difference between using water from an RO/DI filter or distilled water? Which one is better?
I have read in a few places that distilled water is considered more pure than RO/DI water. RO/DI is only able to remove 95% of dissolved minerals. On the other hand, distilled water picks up CO2 making it acidic and can help fuel algae. I also read somewhere that distilled water is sometimes known to be held in copper tanks and can absorb traces.
Old 01-01-2004, 10:33 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Toddwess,
That system looks OK. I don't think you got beat on the price since you got all the filter carts with it. Be sure you flush the RO membrane for a few hours before you hook up the DI chamber.

I have used both RO/DI and distilled water and have never had any issues with either. The drawback to RO/DI is the high initial cost of setting up the unit. Distilled gets expensive and is a pain to go buy all the time. I installed a Kent 24gpd Maxxima unit at one of my customers place of business. They use the water in their sterilizers as well as their 180 gal reef. The unit will pay for itself in about 8 months since they no longer have to buy all that distilled water. After that, they're making money on it.

Tags
ro/di

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com