Question about salinity/SG

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
steve-s, if lower sg is of no effect, then why is hyposalinity still considered as a treatment method? I'm likely missunderstanding something, but I figured you could help clear things up

saberry, I think you misread.
steve-s said:
there is no way a SG that high will affect a parasite with any benefit.
Hypo treatments are usually much lower at around 1.009.

Atari said:
saberry, I think you misread.
steve-s said:
there is no way a SG that high will affect a parasite with any benefit.
Hypo treatments are usually much lower at around 1.009.

Ah - thanks Atari. I actually did catch that, but thought it to be a typo. So, if I understand now, what you mean is that it is not that a lower sg doesn't aid in the reduction of parasites, it is just that the 1.018 or so that some lfs's use is not nearly low enough to be effective (except in lowering their bottom line.)

saberry said:
it is just that the 1.018 or so that some lfs's use is not nearly low enough to be effective (except in lowering their bottom line.)
(y) (y)

Cheers
Steve

Is 1.022 really that low anyway. I use the recommended dosage on the label of my reef crystals...1/2 cup per gallon, and I get a SG right between 1.021 and 1.022. Furthermore, my hydrometer, as well as others that I have seen, have a "highlighted" zone that you should be trying to get the needle to fall into. That zone is from 1.020 - 1.023. According to my devices, and recommended dosage 1.025 is actually too high...now, I know that this is not the case. I'm perfectly satisfied with where my SG is at and don't plan on changing it...just wondering why, in an enviroment as sensitive as a saltwater aquarium, is there such a gap in what is considered "best".

dicjones said:
just wondering why, in an enviroment as sensitive as a saltwater aquarium, is there such a gap in what is considered "best".
No clue why these companies would recommend the lower SG's when NSW is 35 ppt (1.025 SG) :?:

You could always contact some of them and ask I suppose. 8)

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom