Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-18-2009, 06:48 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson View Post
Joy - when I was researching salts several years ago, I did run across some anecdotal evidence that some salt brands tend to promote cyano more than others. I *think* it was the infamous "Borneman Salt Study" and if you Google that, you should find info on it.

There was a lot of criticism in the reefing circles about the study and I won't go into all that here, but it more or less focused on the somewhat non-scientific way the "study" was done. That's why I said above that the evidence was "anecdotal".

For me, there's more at work with cyano than just excess nutrients - although having them doesn't help. I would think that pH and other water parameters play into it as well. And maybe some salts give you better parameters that tend to keep the cyano at bay while others give you parameters that tend to promote it - given the same nutrient levels. Just me thinking out loud...

Your friend's experience with cyano using your salt IS interesting. Does seem like an add coincidence, doesn't it. But again... the salt isn't really "causing" the cyano - it can't. But I would think it's possible that it could make it easier to get a foothold if the water conditions are right.

Bavass - you're not going to find an answer to that question. There really is no "best" levels for those things. The "best" level for calcium itself is highly debated. Is it 380? 420? 500? 560? Everyone will have different opinions on that. And if you think super high calcium is a good thing, then your alkalinity is going to suffer. It's a trade off.

The "best" salt, in my opinion, is the one that you can easily get whenever you want, and works for YOU in YOUR tank.
Yeah I know I will never find the answer to that question from anybody other than myself and trying different brands. I guess I should have said it different it was more a I WISH I COULD rather than want to find

bavass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 12:32 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Originally Posted by joy13 View Post
Once I am out of the Coralife I already have the Oceanic already. It is suppose to mix 90 gallons so I figure I should start seeing a change in my 8 gallon within a couple of water changes if it is the salt.

Ryshark how long has your tank been set up and what was the other brand of salt you were using?
My current tank is 1-year old, I transfered a lot of stuff from my old 75-gallon tank into my current 180-gallon. Before the Coralife I was using DD-H2O and before that I was using Tropic Marin Pro. However, I am not convinced it is the Coralife just yet. I'm going to keep using it because the parameters are good and the price is right. I get the bucket for $40 from an LFS. Plus one of my favorite tanks (which I have only seen online in another forum) uses Coralife saltmix and that tank is Beautiful.
I do admit that until about a week and a half ago, I was not feeding the tangs any nori on a clip, I was just throwing in lots of algae based flake food. There is a chance this was mucking the water up. I stopped feeding so much flake (I was doing it about 3-times a day) and started putting the seaweed on a clip again. Right now, when I stir the sand up the cyano still comes right back within 2-days. It sucks! If I can't get control of it soon, I will probably buy a sand sifting goby.

ryshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 12:36 AM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
two vortechs and a tunze.....jealous over here!
Yeah, I didn't think I would spend so much on powerheads, but flow is very important if you want an sps dominated tank. This hobby has turned into a huge expense, but I enjoy it. Before the Vortechs and Tunze, I had modded maxi jets and JBJ powerheads. I must say that the quality in comparison is a huge difference. Although, the modded maxi-jet did move a lot of water.
ryshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 02:09 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
I use to buy all my saltwater premixed from lfs and they used coralife salt. I had cyano from day one. Bought power heads and cut back on feedings. Still, bad cyano. Then I started mixing my own saltwater. I have tried every brand but have been very pleased with oceanic. I have not had cyano since I stopped using coralife. I mix my own oceanic salt and point a power head at top of water. I dont know which changed things but I'm not stopping either one to find out.
Bige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:40 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
So far cutting the feeding back to every third day now instead of every other day and increased flow until I am done with the coralife. I am have enough for another 3 weeks so I am giving the cut back in feeding and extra flow a chance to work.

joy13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com