Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-23-2010, 02:41 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have about 5-6 nassarius snails, I wasn't sure of that was deep enough for them.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:21 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

that should be fine, that jawfish sure is pretty I must sayl. Good luck with him.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:24 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have 15 pounds. So how many nassarius per gallon as a general rule for DSB?
Old 02-23-2010, 12:35 PM   #14
is back to save the day!

Well, how deep are you planning on making your sendbed, because a 10G is pretty small, and adding 4" of sand won't necessarily help out anything. And definitely watch out for evaporation. I'm doing a 10G reef as well right now and i'm expecting to be on top of top-offs.. pretty constantly. Deep sandbed + elevated rocks = less water and will make evaporation seem quicker than it actually is. I also don't plan on having any sand-dwelling critters, so my sandbed will most likely be 1.5 inches.. And i'd say that's a pretty good amount for a 10G
Old 02-23-2010, 01:04 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Right now I would say its about 4". And I know it sounds like a lot for 10 gallons, however after I added it, it doesnt look that deep. I have a surprisingly large amount of room. I know top offs will be a pain, however I have a 3 gallon jug of RODI right beside the tank haha and it wont be that bad. I just fear of the "death bubbles" you are talking about and want to avoid that
Old 02-23-2010, 01:09 PM   #16
is back to save the day!

Well, IMHO i don't really think you will have those problems with a 4" deep sand bed. That's relatively not that deep. I would consider 5-7" of sand deep. But still, having piece of mind is what counts, so just get some nassarius snails and you should be fine. They will love 4" of depth. If you wanted also, you could try a pistol shrimp. Those little guys work the sand like it's their job.. oh wait, it is. :p

I had a tiger pistol shrimp and man did that thing burrow constantly EVERYWHERE there was sand. Great animal i must say, but i'm going for a cleaner sandbed look, so i don't really want piles of sand all over the place. But take note, they will really only make sand piles when there isn't enough sand for them to completely burrow. If you have a deep sandbed then you should be fine, and won't have piles of sand all over the place. Assuming you get a pistol shrimp.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:48 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

A DSB starts at around 4", but you also need a large enough surface to see the benefits. I don't think you will see that in a 10g tank. I think you need a 36x12 or larger area for it to be effective but that's a WAG.
Becuase of my powerheads I have over 8" of sand in one corner of the tank. That's where my hitchhiker pistol shrimp took up residence.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:30 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

I really do want to try a pistol shrimp :p So how many nassarius is too many? I was thinking 3 or 4 but honestly I have no clue
Old 02-26-2010, 02:48 AM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

You can start wtih 2/gallon or about 20 nass snails (make suere they are vibex). You may want more variety though.

Cerith Snails-Cerithium spp. (Cortez) - Good algae and detritus eaters that forage rock, glass, and sand. Some can pick themselves up and some cant.

Cerith Snails (White)- Good algae and detritus eaters that seem to stay in the sand more than the cortez, but can be found on the rock and glass. Once again, some can pick themselves up and others cant. These are good sand bed snails.

Astrea Snails -Astraea tecta: Most common of all saltwater tank snails. They are excellent algae eaters and will forage all over the rock, sand, and glass. These guys fall very easily, can not right themselves, and then die.

From BlueZoo Aquatics:
"Adding grazing snails to your aquarium for algae control is heartily recommended as long as you don’t add too many, too fast (often resulting in starvation), you acclimate them properly, and you keep your water parameters stable.
===========================================
Acclimation
Drip method (Invertebrates: Snails, Crabs)
These animals will ship in much less water and are therefore easily acclimated in their original bag.
cut open (or off) the top of the bag to allow water from your drip line to be added and then secure them so they don’t tip over when more water is added
Often there is newspaper or paper towel to keep them moist. Create a drip volume that adds maybe one drop or less per second (see above). This should create about an inch of water over a period of one hour. For these creatures slower truly is better.
You do not have to discard any water like above. After one hour, simply add the animals to the sand bed by hand (do not put acclimation water into tank).
Snails & Crabs- may not open or move for days at a time- after this time if you suspect death pick them out of tank (if they smell bad, they're dead – don’t put them back)"
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:30 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

Wow 20! that's a lot haha. I know my LFS sells nassarius but idk if they are vibex? And I know I have to add them over time, but how many should I start with?

Tags
sand, sand bed

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com