Question about sand bed depth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DarkAnviL

Aquarium Advice Regular
what's the recomended sand bed level in inches for salt water or reef aquariums? I've read mixed things and not sure what the benefit of thicker sand beds. My tanks sand layer isn't as thick as alot of others I've seen on here. Is it bad to have a thin layer like an inch or two? Or should it be thicker?

First off, a sandbed is optional. You could choose not to put any sand and it wouldn't really affect your inhabitants. It just makes the tank look really awesome.

However, lets assume you are going to put sand.

The depth of the sandbed all depends on the inhabitants. If you have animals like pistol shrimp or watchman gobies that like to burrow in the sand, then you will need at least 3 inches of sand and deeper in some areas. If you don't have any of those animals, and don't plan on having them either, than around 1 inch of sand should be perfect. Maybe even 1.5 - 2 inches just because. What size tank you got?

First off, a sandbed is optional. You could choose not to put any sand and it wouldn't really affect your inhabitants. It just makes the tank look really awesome.

However, lets assume you are going to put sand.

The depth of the sandbed all depends on the inhabitants. If you have animals like pistol shrimp or watchman gobies that like to burrow in the sand, then you will need at least 3 inches of sand and deeper in some areas. If you don't have any of those animals, and don't plan on having them either, than around 1 inch of sand should be perfect. Maybe even 1.5 - 2 inches just because. What size tank you got?

36 gallon bow front

Well then i think you could definitely do a sandbed depth of your desired choice. Just don't make it like 5-7 inches deep otherwise you start to dive into the realm of those little death bubbles that accumulate under deep sandbeds, and when they pop up through the sand, could pose a threat to your tank. but that generally does not exist in shallow sandbed depths, so there's nothing to worry about there.

I have a DSB (5"-6") and I did it to reduce nitrates. You can have problems with a deep sandbed, but if you have the right type of CUC and gobies and shrimps that naturally stir the sand then that lessens the problem that Zer0 stated. My sand does bubble off most of the time. This is do to the fact that a deep sandbed has anarobic areas that converts nitrates to nitrogen gas. The problem that Zer0 was talking about isl the fact that unstirred sand from a Deep sandbed developes hydrogen sulphide (that rotten egg smell) which is a poison.

Last edited:
I have a DSB for nitrate reduction. A DSB starts at about 4". Those little bubles are exactly what you want to see. If you can't get near your tank because of the smell of rotten eggs (hydrogen sulfide) then you have a problem. Those little bubbles are actually the nitrogen bubbles from the completion of the Nitrogen cycle.

Read that Dr. Ron article for more information. The particle size is important as are the inhabitants. You don't want any animals that sift the sand bed looking for food as they will kill eat the animals that stir the sand bed for you.

Yeah thincat pretty much explained what i was just touching on, but him and cmor are completely correct. I also forgot to add that if you HAD a clean up crew, such as nassarius snails or pistol shrimp, etc.. that stir up the sand, then you wouldn't have the problem that i was mentioning with deep sand beds. But i would definitely read that article to grasp what it that sandbeds do for our tanks. It's well worth the read.

Just a quick question that kind of relates. I have a deep sand bed because I am getting a pearly jawfish. What should I use to stir the sand up for a clean up crew? I was mainly thinking nassarius, but how many? 10 gallons btw

10g...small, so watchout for evaporation. are you using any LR?

that should be fine, that jawfish sure is pretty I must sayl. Good luck with him.

Well, how deep are you planning on making your sendbed, because a 10G is pretty small, and adding 4" of sand won't necessarily help out anything. And definitely watch out for evaporation. I'm doing a 10G reef as well right now and i'm expecting to be on top of top-offs.. pretty constantly. Deep sandbed + elevated rocks = less water and will make evaporation seem quicker than it actually is. I also don't plan on having any sand-dwelling critters, so my sandbed will most likely be 1.5 inches.. And i'd say that's a pretty good amount for a 10G

Right now I would say its about 4". And I know it sounds like a lot for 10 gallons, however after I added it, it doesnt look that deep. I have a surprisingly large amount of room. I know top offs will be a pain, however I have a 3 gallon jug of RODI right beside the tank haha and it wont be that bad. I just fear of the "death bubbles" you are talking about and want to avoid that

Well, IMHO i don't really think you will have those problems with a 4" deep sand bed. That's relatively not that deep. I would consider 5-7" of sand deep. But still, having piece of mind is what counts, so just get some nassarius snails and you should be fine. They will love 4" of depth. If you wanted also, you could try a pistol shrimp. Those little guys work the sand like it's their job.. oh wait, it is. :p

I had a tiger pistol shrimp and man did that thing burrow constantly EVERYWHERE there was sand. Great animal i must say, but i'm going for a cleaner sandbed look, so i don't really want piles of sand all over the place. But take note, they will really only make sand piles when there isn't enough sand for them to completely burrow. If you have a deep sandbed then you should be fine, and won't have piles of sand all over the place. Assuming you get a pistol shrimp.

A DSB starts at around 4", but you also need a large enough surface to see the benefits. I don't think you will see that in a 10g tank. I think you need a 36x12 or larger area for it to be effective but that's a WAG.
Becuase of my powerheads I have over 8" of sand in one corner of the tank. That's where my hitchhiker pistol shrimp took up residence.

You can start wtih 2/gallon or about 20 nass snails (make suere they are vibex). You may want more variety though.

Cerith Snails-Cerithium spp. (Cortez) - Good algae and detritus eaters that forage rock, glass, and sand. Some can pick themselves up and some cant.

Cerith Snails (White)- Good algae and detritus eaters that seem to stay in the sand more than the cortez, but can be found on the rock and glass. Once again, some can pick themselves up and others cant. These are good sand bed snails.

Astrea Snails -Astraea tecta: Most common of all saltwater tank snails. They are excellent algae eaters and will forage all over the rock, sand, and glass. These guys fall very easily, can not right themselves, and then die.

From BlueZoo Aquatics:
"Adding grazing snails to your aquarium for algae control is heartily recommended as long as you don’t add too many, too fast (often resulting in starvation), you acclimate them properly, and you keep your water parameters stable.
===========================================
Acclimation
Drip method (Invertebrates: Snails, Crabs)
These animals will ship in much less water and are therefore easily acclimated in their original bag.
cut open (or off) the top of the bag to allow water from your drip line to be added and then secure them so they don’t tip over when more water is added
Often there is newspaper or paper towel to keep them moist. Create a drip volume that adds maybe one drop or less per second (see above). This should create about an inch of water over a period of one hour. For these creatures slower truly is better.
You do not have to discard any water like above. After one hour, simply add the animals to the sand bed by hand (do not put acclimation water into tank).
Snails & Crabs- may not open or move for days at a time- after this time if you suspect death pick them out of tank (if they smell bad, they're dead – don’t put them back)"

Wow 20! that's a lot haha. I know my LFS sells nassarius but idk if they are vibex? And I know I have to add them over time, but how many should I start with?

Back
Top Bottom