Hi, I have an 18G via aqua tank and I want to setup a refugium using an aqua clear 500 power filter. The picture below shows a setup that someone did which I want to duplicate.
1. How deep of a sand bed should I have in my refugium?
2. What kind of macro algae should I get that has the lowest risk of going asexual?
3. How can you tell if they went asexual?
4. Which light should I get for the refug.? I found these two lights at thatfishplace.com, these would fit perfectly on the refugium. The first one is a Mini Aqualight Double (Freshwater) which has Two 9 watt 6700k lamps or should I get the Mini Aqualight Double (Saltwater) with Two lamps: one 9 watt 03
actinic blue and one 9 watt 10,000k daylight? I posted a pic. of this light below, they are very cheap about $25.
5. Should I have any critters in the refugium, if so what should I put in it?
6. Would it be ok to have the lights on for 12 hrs. a day on the refugium? I have moonlights on my tank which I don't want to be overpowered by the refug lights at night.
7. Using this as my main filter what would I use as far as mechanical filtration to pick up debree in the tank? Do people place sponges in their refugiums?
Here is what this person wrote about their setup using the Aqua Clear 500 filter. "I added a 6" high baffle in the filter to separate the fuge area and reduce the flow into it. The area before the fuge I am going to use for the heater, carbon (when needed), and possibly a Piccollo skimmer in the future. I tested everything the other day, and I think the flow is about prefect for a 20 gallon. I am using the AquaClear surface skimmer, so that may also have helped reduce the flow somewhat."