Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-13-2004, 12:02 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Question about stonies

I've got a 60 gal tank... standard 55 gal sizing and a 4x65w PC lighting setup... I was told before that I might be able to get some LPS corals.... can you guys recommend some things that might do well with my setup ????

Old 12-13-2004, 12:09 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Candy cane or a hammer would be my suggestion. Those were the 1st lps I tried with similar lighting. I am sure others would be ok but those are pretty popular in my area.

Old 12-13-2004, 12:24 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I love Candy Canes, open brain corals are always cool too... I think you could keep almost any LPS you want w/ that setup depending where it's placed in your tank. I suggest you see what LPS you like and check back to be absolutely sure. HTH
Old 12-13-2004, 12:45 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I like the candy canes, brain, open brain, button coral... quite a few really....

Since I'm just getting into the stonies... I'd like to get something that's fairly hardy and will do well with my lighting.... I don't really care for the hammer all that much..
Old 12-13-2004, 12:49 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm also looking for something that I don't necessarily target feed or add anything else to the tank.... something that will live off the light and the "extras" floating around in the tank.......
Old 12-13-2004, 02:18 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Do you guys think I could get away with montiopora ??? I know it's a SPS... but I like the encrusting idea....
Old 12-13-2004, 02:22 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Just FYI... I've got a porite clump with christmas tree worms in it and it seems to be doing well in my tank...

Also... will the porites spread to my LR ?????
Old 12-13-2004, 09:42 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

You might want to check out the fox coral also.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:35 AM   #9
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0mf0rt
Do you guys think I could get away with montiopora ??? I know it's a SPS... but I like the encrusting idea....
You should actually be able to sustain a few types of SPS. I don't think the encrusting varieties would be all that great though, they grow very very slowly. I have a yellow one and it grows about ½" a year. Digitata's and caprcornus should do well. I have several of each including a blue tip stag (Acropora formosa). Just be sure all are placed mid level or higher.

You can also try Pavona, Anacropora, Pocillopora, Porites, Stylophora and a few others. Just avoid true Acpropora's (I don't mean Family Acroporidae). Start with the Monti's and guage how well things go and then mabye move forward from there.

Quote:
Also... will the porites spread to my LR ?????
If it's constant contact with a nearby rock void of other coral life yes but it can easily take a few months before it happens.

Cheers
Steve
Old 12-13-2004, 11:42 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok one last question then.....

How can you tell the health of these corals... I mean with softies they're either falling apart or deflating.... I noticed with the porites that depending on where I put them they will gain or loose their "actinic pigment".... Is that all I should look for??

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com