Question about test Alkalinity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bavass

Aquarium Advice Addict
I see people saying there Alkalinity is 8-9-or 10. I am using the Red Sea pH & Alkalinity test kit combo. On my chart is shows normal 1.7-2.8 which mine is in range. Is this a junk test kit? Should I be using a different brand?

I believe when people say theirs is 8 or higher, then they are using a different scale. The scale you are using is right. Don't get them confused or you will have problems. I can't remember off hand what the name of the scale is but don't worry the one you are using is fine. I used the same one for a long time and never had a problem.

Use meq/l for form and I would use another test kit because it states your Alk is unreasonably low.

Use meq/l for form and I would use another test kit because it states your Alk is unreasonably low.

looks like about 3.5

688536120_bKUjR-XL.jpg

...Or if Alkalinity is 2.5 then my dkh is 7?

You are correct. Those two numbers are measuring the same thing - just reporting it differently. Just like Celsius and Fahrenheit... 32F and 0C are the same thing. For a direct conversion, (dkh) / 2.8 = meq/l

And regarding "normal" and "high", I'd have to disagree with that card. For a reef tank, you really want alkalinity of 3.0-4.0 meq/l (8-12 dkh). Their "normal" range, I'd consider borderline low.

You are correct. Those two numbers are measuring the same thing - just reporting it differently. Just like Celsius and Fahrenheit... 32F and 0C are the same thing. For a direct conversion, (dkh) / 2.8 = meq/l

And regarding "normal" and "high", I'd have to disagree with that card. For a reef tank, you really want alkalinity of 3.0-4.0 meq/l (8-12 dkh). Their "normal" range, I'd consider borderline low.

So you think I need to bring it up some?

Back
Top Bottom