Question about the fuge....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

c0mf0rt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was thinking of adding more LR or base rock to my fuge to help with filtration... would this affect the pods in the sand bed etc... or would this just help things?????

Just help things in my opinion. It woud certainly help with filtration. Just make sure it's cured first.

Jim

I wouldn't recommend putting any rock in the center of the sand bed. Along the short edges should be fine though.

Thats interesting Bang....I have never heard that placement of LR in a fuge makes a difference. Whats the reasoning behind that?

The size of your sand bed is at about the minimum size that I've been able to keep viable long term. Any smaller and it quickly loses its diversity of critters and starts to collect detritus. Apparently, from what I've read, there are critters that avoid walls & rock and will only live in the open sandbed, there are critters that only live near walls & rock, and there are critters that are happy anywhere. It seems that small sandbeds are typically devoid of the first type.

I'm thinking that if you place rocks in the center you'll eliminate the open sand bed area and then quickly lose a lot of critter diversity.

Back
Top Bottom