Question concerning drilling a tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Civicman86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
OK I have been looking into ways to get my two 10g tanks connected. I have seen all the overflow boxes and such and they are just to much for what they are. Plus I dont like the idea of having a section keeping the water going down. I was thinking of taking my extra 10g and drilling my stuff into it.

Here is what I was thinking, I didnt know if it would work or not or cuase the fish to be "sucked" to the hole. I know its a crappy pic but I think you can get the idea.

Also what do you have to make sure of when drilling glass? I have a drill press I can use. Do you need special drill bits? I dont want to mess a nice tank up.

drille_tank.JPG

It really depends on if the glass is tempered or not. Also, I think you will need a diamond glass cutter..someone else may know the exact name, but you can't use just any drill bit because it will shatter. You may want to consider bringing it to someone that can cut it for you.

Mike

Diamond/Carbon glass bits will work - just go to a hardware store and ask for a drill bit that is designed for cutting glass. There's also devices that you probably have that will lock the glass in place. On a tank that size I seriously doubt its tempered. On your concept, you might consider not even having the secondary drill holes and just have one large pump in your sump/fuge pushing water up and into the tank. Your design is peculiar without an overflow. You might consider a bent tube that goes up the back of the tank (on the inside) for a cheap overflow concept -- that way you dont have to have a large clunky box taking a huge chunk of your small tank's valuable space. The reason its suggested to have an over flow -- what if your powerheads quit working? What if the power goes out? Your tank will just drain into your sump/fuge and your fish will be flopping around on dry LR going DOUBLE TEE EF MATE?! :p With an overflow it only allows the tank to decrease water supply by a set amount - and prevents you from flooding your sump.

What if i made the drain hole higher up into the tank. Say maybe a inch from the top. That way if the power does go out then it will drain to that point and wont drain any fartheer.

I do like your idea better about just having the pump, pump it back over into the tank. I can route pvc up to do that. I dont however understand your overflow concept though. Could you elaborate more or show me a pic of one someone else did?

It seems like my concept of having a flow hole in the tank is the same as a overflow box. Bascially the overflow is taking water out of the tank through suction and draining it out. I would just have a hole with some sort of screen draining water out. I would have to put some sort of valve on the drain so it would drain just fast enough so it doesnt drain the tank faster than the pump can put it back in the tank.

Oh and LOLat the "DOUBLE TEE EF MATE?" comment :lol:

The valve is also a typical thing to have to regulate flow to a pretty constant level.

Your idea is the same but without the overflow box. Instead of that whole box, have a tube that curves directly vertical on the inside of the tank (keep the hole in your tank near the bottom so you have gravity in your favor) and the tube will be completely vertical and the top will have slits so the water falls into this tube, down the tube, out the back of the tank and down more tubing into your sump.

Hopefully this makes a little more sense.

OK I have come up with antoher plan with your ideas implemented. Please tell me if you think this one would work. Seems idiot proof to me. If power were to fail it would still be ok. It would be concealed also which makes tubes and boxes crappier.

untitled.JPG

Same file name so the original pic was lost.

yeah but if the hole was far enough down you would have gravity and water pressure . The water will drain in the hole no matter where it is placed. The farther down the greater pressure it will have to go in the hole. But if I place a valve for restricion I will be slowing the flow down anyways. I was thinking of having the hole in the tank and a 90 bend right off that, to a straight vertical pvc pipe that would dump into my sump tank.

That's close. That'd work. But as you said, the further down the more pressure you'll have. Its always a better idea to start out with more as you can always reduce later (you can't magically increase flow).

Here's a diagram, you'll have to forgive my 15second paint mock-up. ;)

Attachments

• tankoverflow.jpg
    tankoverflow.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 173
Not sure what your looking to do??? I have 4 tank that are drilled all at the top wiht bulkheads.
you need 1 3/4 diamond tip drill bit for a 1" bulkhead.
I have the holes about 3" down and 3-4 " in except for my 20 fuge which is in the center 3" down. all have elbows with strainer covers on them so no critters get into them and plug them up. with the elbows pointed up you get the water line high in the tank so you don't see the water line when looking at the tank. Also with the elbow if you loose power not much water drains back down. The bottom on most 10 gal tanks that I have used have tempered bottoms and reg glass on the rest..
They make nice easy to use hang on back return J hooks that just need hose attached to the power head return and your in business

schoeplein said:
That's close. That'd work. But as you said, the further down the more pressure you'll have. Its always a better idea to start out with more as you can always reduce later (you can't magically increase flow).

Here's a diagram, you'll have to forgive my 15second paint mock-up. ;)

Ahh I see what your saying now. Basically instead of having the hole and having the water run right out of the tank you have a verical pipe connected at the bottom and going up to a certain height. I wonder what the flow difference would be in the two setups. Both seem to be safe if the power goes out.

seaham358: Do you have any pics of your tanks and how you have them setup? Pictures are a 1000 words :)

Can you not drill into non tempered glass? Also what are the ideal size piping for this job? Where can i get all the parts at? Like the part that connects to the glass. I can make most the rest from PVC correct?

I thought of somethign last night while I was laying in bed. I wonder if the water would flow freely out. Like take for instance if you pour water or milk out of a milk conainter. If you put it upside down then it will flows then let some air in the container, then flow some more, then more air. Basically not a nice flowing system. I wonder if a tank would do that? Seems like the same principle.

Ill try and post some this weekend.. there is air that gets into the overflow bulkhead so the flow is constant. You may get a gurggle thats the air flow being blocked by the water. There are ways to correct and air/water issues. Non tempered glass can be drilled with special glass bits. They sell them online and most glass dealers in the area will drill tanks.. call around for prices they very a lot in my area..
Bulkheads can be bought on line and the plastic screens that go with them can also.

Back
Top Bottom