Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-02-2005, 11:27 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to pearsont74 Send a message via Yahoo to pearsont74
Question for people who live near an Ocean

Has anyone who lives near the ocean gone and gathered odds and ends for your sw tank? I live 10 mins from the gulf of mexico and just curious about if it would be ok to introduce things I can find in these waters to my tank. The help the cycling process...live shrimp, lil crabs...even plants and rocks that have organisms on them. You'd be amazed of what I can find out wading out to sand bars and such Was also thinking of gathering rubble for my sump (i know its illegal to gather "live rock" so I am not going there)
Just tryin to cut my cost alittle since the cost of the equipment is killin me.
hope to get my tank started here soon...tryin to pre-research before jumpin in.

pearsont74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 02:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
You'd have to be careful you're not going to be bringing in any toxins into your tank. You could use shells, but I highly advise cleaning them before putting them in your tank.
29g FOWLR- 2 Percula Clowns
2 Emerald Mithrax Crab, 5 Nassarius Snails, 3 Astrea Snails, 1 mexican turbo snails, 1 Chocolate Chip Star, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, and 27lbs of LR 2lbs tonga branch and 25lbs fiji rock

Maiden's Hair, Calerpa, and Red Kelp macro algae.
X the Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com