Question for Saltwater hobiest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

special lighting

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello there i have a question about filteration in a saltwater tank because i want to know if i have proper filteration or if thats the cause why i havnt been very succesful in this hobby. i have a marineland biowheel 350gph and a fluval 305 260gph.

what filteration do you have in your SW tank?

is mine enough?

:))

I am running a empreror 280 HOB filter and a SeaClone 100 Protein skimmer for my 50 Gallon. I think it would be enough but I would invest in a Protein skimmer, check ebay or craigslist I got my skimmer for ten bucks off of ebay!

when you say you haven't been succesful, what does that mean? have had fish die? algae problems? do you have rocks? how long has the tank been set up?

Try to stay away from the knock-off brands, But any brand should be ok, Other than that research them and read reviews of them. Good Luck with your tank and your search

I have a 125 gallon reef. I just use LR, skimmer and a refuge. Really all you need. When I had my 55 I just used LR and a skimmer plus some PH`s to push the water around. Did that for seven yrs.

Well if you want the best then get an octopus brand. From what I hear from others they are the best. I use an excalibur skimmer. It works good for me. Also I know others that dont use a skimmer. It`s not one of those things that you have to have just nice to have and do accomplish a purpose. They are good at removing DOC`s from the tank. Frequent PWC`s would accomplish the same thing. Some good reading

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/proskimrart2.htm

Go with octopus. If you can afford it, get the one with the sicce pump(800s model, I think.) It's oversized but will pull the doc's out very well. I had the 300f and it worked great, a little noisy, but worked great. Oh, and I have a 180 fowlr with a 75g sump and 2 seperate fuges, and an Octopus 12'' skimmer

Back
Top Bottom