question on a protein skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxtoto

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi
If a protein skimmer is for use in a sump set up or in other words supposed to be in with a sump setup, can it also be used inside a tank also. I was thinking about buying one that is 13"H x 3.5"D and it would be on a tall 55 gal tank.

I dont' have a sump setup at all or a wet/dry filter setup. Can it be done?

I could be wrong, but depending on the particular skimmer, I believe the in sump skimmers can be totally submerged, you could put it in the tank, it would just look ugly.

skimmer in the sump..

I agree, probably really ugly to have that INSIDE the tank.

Without knowing the specific model, I'm willing to bet that you could install that skimmer outside of the tank. You will probably have to do some minor plumbing to route the water into/out of the skimmer.

...but just because a skimmer is designed to work in a sump, doesn't mean it MUST work that way. As long as water goes in the in, and out the out...it will work the same.

Well, while we all at the skimmer, have anyone able to fit a heater into your Bakpak2 skimmer?
Thanks

Have you looked into a back-pack skimmer? I have one on my 55 gal tank ( SEA CLONE). There are several manufactures and they are priced around the same as sump models.

Have you looked into a Hang-on skimmer? I have one on my 55 gal tank ( SEA CLONE). There are several manufactures and they are priced around the same as sump models.

also you noted a 13" skimmer, if you get a hang-on you may want to use a longer skimmer, in general the taller the skimmer the longer the air and water mix the more efficient the skimmer.

Back
Top Bottom