Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-02-2005, 11:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Question on filter/skimmers

I have a 26 Gal bow front tank. I have about 35lbs of LR and about 2 inch LS bed. I have a clown fish, 2 purple chromis, royal gramma, purple firefish, scooter blenny, and a cleaner shrimp. I also have about 10 hermit crabs and 6 snails. I made an earlier post about high nitrates and am still not sure what would be best from my tank. I still have the bio-wheel filter on my tank which I know needs to go. I am just not sure what would be the best option. I do want to be able to support corals at some point. I also have the coral life PC 2x96w with moon light. Also lately I am having a problem with brown slim type alge on my sand bed. Should I just go with a skimmer and power heads for water movement?

Sorry for the long post, thanks....

Old 02-03-2005, 12:07 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You have more fish in your 26g than I have in my 46g. That along with the bio wheel is going to make it very difficult to keep your nitrates down. I would remove the bio wheel as 35lbs of LR should be enough biological filtration. But first add a few powerheads and a good skimmer. If you still need to get it lower think about adding another inch or two of sand and you will have a denitrifying sand bed.

46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 12:31 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Any recommendations on a skimmer? I guess I would need a hang on back skimmer.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:38 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

any skimmer at this point would be better.

100 percent right on the bio load you have in your tank and the nitrates on the bio wheel arent helping much. not sure what kind of water movement you have, but as posted above, you will probably want more.

also, you need to be sure you are not using tap water.

what you have is more than likely, cyno bacteria. many posts on the subject if you do a search.

enjoy.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:51 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Along with the filter I also have a Maxi-Jet 900 to help with water movement. I am not using tap water. I only use RO/DI salt from my LFS for my water changes, and also RO/DI fresh water from my LFS for toping off. I have been doing weekly 25% water changes and have gotten my nitrates down to 20. Would a skimmer along with the Maxi-Jet 900 be enough for water movement? I will do the search on cyno. Thanks...
Old 02-03-2005, 01:32 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Good job on the RO/DI for water changes!

For a skimmer, check into the Bak-Pak. They make nice ones, especially if you only have a 26 gal. I actually have one that was used for about 8 months that I'm not using... might be able to strike a deal with ya . MJ 900 would be awesome... 2 if you can manage it. Just put them at opposite ends of your tank facing inward so you get the water moving. Can also add a $20 wavemaker unit (basically a power strip with alternating timers on it) to help keep the water currents erratic. Basically anything at this point would be better... skimmer is a must... and so is a powerhead. HTH

~~Rob
Old 02-03-2005, 10:20 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

How often and how much do you feed? Try cutting feedings back to one light feeding every other day. I agree, the bioload is a bit high, but with a skimmer, more water changes, less feeding and adding somme more LR you can make it work.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:42 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I too would suggest a CPR bak-pak.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:33 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for the advice. I do plan on getting a skimmer. I have a MJ 900, and an MJ 400. Should I replace the 400 for another 900? I do weekly water changes already, and I only do one light feeding a day.

I will do some research on the suggested skimmers.

Thanks.....

Tags
filter, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com