Question on Glass Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seadonkey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've never tested the strength of glass....but...

I have a 55 gal tank with stand, the stand is not solid at the top, it's like...a frame and the fish tank sits into it perfectly but the bottom of the tank is open to the air, if that makes sense? I mean, it has no support other than the frame that goes all the way around the edges and the bar that goes along the middle.

My question is, if you can picture all that, is this enough support for me to turn that 55gal into a reef? I know that it will hold the water fine, but my worry is the sand and live rock...

Maybe I'm just being paranoid. :oops:

What you are describing is fine. Standard stands almost never make contact ith the bottom glass and if they did you would have to make sure that it was totally level and no areas poked up aganst the glass as that would cause a stress point.

My setup is very similar, I have never had any problems. I have had the tank configured as both FW and SW fish-only, and now transitioning into Reef environment.... It looks freaky if you crawl arounf\d under there, but it is strong as all heck...

Back
Top Bottom