question on lion fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boggerscott

Aquarium Advice Regular
i bought a little lion fish the other day and about 4 or 5 days later which is today i bought a wimple fish and like not even 3 hour later i came in the room and it looked like he took a nose dive in this piece of hard coral and was dead but i wondered if he got stung by the lion is this possible? any help would be nice thanks

hmm, did you notice any puncture wounds on him? I kinda doubt the lion nailed him. What species is the lion? Some lions have only venomous dorsal fins and some even have tail and caudal fins with venom. How did you acclimate him?

well i have what the store called a dorf lion i think dorf somthing ,butt lion fish. i acclimated him by putting the bag he came in the water to balance temp and waited 10 min. then added around 1/4 cup of water and did the 10 min wait 3 times. so i dont know i even put all the lights out in the room so no one would bother him. came in 3 hours later and like i said it look like he nose dived into the coral and got stuck to a point , hell i dont know but his lower face and stomach looked like it poped? or was picked at . strange to me so thats why i thought the lion mite have stung him and he poped? i dont know :roll:

I kinda doubt the lion got him too. It's possible of course, but lions tend to ignore anything they can't eat IME.

The pectoral fins of a Lion fish are not poisonous, just the dorsal,anal, caudal fisn and like sumphead said-sometimes tail. Sounds like he tried to take a nip but he got away, just to die a more painful death. Gotta love predator fish huh? :lol: Wish I had a 200gal+ with nothing but preadtors- and they only got a long with each other, ya right that's gonna happen.

I also think you meant dwarf lion. And there are several "dwarf" species as well. I would have to assume that it would be a fuzzy dwarf or perhaps a zebra lion. Either way I still doubt he stung anything as it is primarily a defense mechanism. Sorry to hear about your loss none-the-less. Look around and try to ID your lion though you never know you may have a juvy biggun. :D

R-

and technically, lions are venomous, not poisonous....the difference is in the method of delivery.

no he looked great . the guy at the store told me to turn the lights out on the tank and i did after i put him in the tank and came back in the room 3 hrs later and he was stuck nose first in this fake coral i have. wierd very wierd but o well i call the store and they said to just bring it in and they will give me another. thanks again

Back
Top Bottom