Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-17-2005, 01:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Question on mixing susbtrates

I was thinking of adding a little bit more layer to my susbtrate. I currently have this

I was thinking of adding either of these two

I wanted to add the above beause they were almost the same color but would add variety in size and the benefits of aragonite sand, the latter anyway.

But in looking around, I was wondering if anyone has ever seen a salt and pepper susbtrate and if they look any good. And if anyone has pics and would be helpful enough to post pis of thier salt/pepper sand, it would be greatly appreciated. Therefore these would be my last choices.

So if anyone has any tips on which susbrate to get to that will look pleasing to the eyes and also be a beneift to the tank, please post.

P.S. Since I am not changing out my substrate, I will be adding the sand by way of a turkey blaster and then just mixing up the sand. Is this reasonable or will it make to big of a mess?

15 Gallon
2 O. Clownfish
4 Chromis
Coco Worm
Feather Duster
Cleanup Crew
21# LR
Coralife Aqualight
-36W 10000K
-36W Actinic
Coralife Super Skimmer 65
Aquaclear 50 filter
Aquaclear 20 ph
Marineland Visitherm 50W heater
lasek2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 07:56 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Stick with a fine sand that is consistant with what you have. Stay away from the "beach sand", it is too corse and could trap detritus causing NO3 problems down the road. As for filling goes...using a turky baster is going to take a long time. Get a legth of 1-2 inch diameter PVC pipe that is long enough to reach the bottom of your tank. You can just pour the sand in it and avoid a huge sand storm.

Some people are like slinkies...they serve no real purpose yet can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!:p
Have a great day! Brian
lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 11:43 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Anyway you do it, you'll have a dust cloud of a tank for a couple days...

But as suggested above, go with a standard white sand bed unless you just enjoy the rocky, colored substrate.
schoeplein is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com