Question on salinity.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just picked up my water for my water change. I've been really busy do I went to a large fish store one that I never get my premixed water from. I was crunched for time so I went and grabbed a 5 gallon bucket. I checked the salinity and it's way high compared to my tank water and water I've used since the tank has been up.

Water reading was 1.039-1.040 Specific gravity
And 38-40 PPT

I run 1.026 which it's at right now. I'm not gonna use it or can I? Can I dilute it with distilled water? I don't have an RO/DI unit but always keep a few 1 gallon jugs of distilled from CVS.

Or can the water change wait till Monday and I'll go get it from my trusted source?

Thanks

I would just wait. If they let it get to 1.040 I would assume they don't really maintain it. It's only a couple of days.

crister13 said:
I would just wait. If they let it get to 1.040 I would assume they don't really maintain it. It's only a couple of days.

Thanks for the quick reply. I just someone other then myself to tell me. I am gonna wait. I usually do it every Friday so Monday won't hurt. Thanks again.

And I agree the must not care much and I was hesitant also because there was some debris in the bucket and my saltwater bucket is clean clean clean!! So I know it wasn't from me.

Again thanks.

I'd test it for ammonia, trites, and trates. Just to be safe. Odds are if an LFS doesn't maintain their SW, their RODI units are probably past due for a replacement.

AquaRick said:
I'd test it for ammonia, trites, and trates. Just to be safe. Odds are if an LFS doesn't maintain their SW, their RODI units are probably past due for a replacement.

Thanks Rick! I'm not gonna use it. I'm gonna stick to what's been working since November.

Well you can still use it if it checks out ok. If the parameters check out ok, maybe they just let it sit and it evaporated? You never know.

AquaRick said:
Well you can still use it if it checks out ok. If the parameters check out ok, maybe they just let it sit and it evaporated? You never know.

Rick my OCD won't allow it :(

I'm just gonna wait till Monday for m trusted guy. My tank is to precious to play around. I don't this other place from a hole in wall so...

I'll wait till Monday. I hope it doesn't cause any ill effects that's it's past my water change day by 2 days. I know... I know... But I have everything planned out so it throws me off. Thanks for all your help/advice Rick.

I do not know what you pay for pre mixed, but I would have to guess that a good RODi unit and your own salt would pay for itself in a short time period.

Holygral said:
I do not know what you pay for pre mixed, but I would have to guess that a good RODi unit and your own salt would pay for itself in a short time period.

My buddy, he owns his own little fish shop about 5 minutes from me. Been good friends even before he owned a fish shop, he use to work for a place years ago. Anyway he set up a RO/DI unit so he can do what most do, sell water. He doesn't charge me for a 5 gallon bucket and always has 1 waiting for me on Fridays. I just couldn't make it there. I'll just go there tomorrow and get it.

I thought of doing my own but I figure I've been using his water since I started in November and I haven't any issues. I'll stick with what works for now. The old saying. If it ain't broke ya know? Plus free99 is a good price lol :)

Rick my OCD won't allow it :(

I'm just gonna wait till Monday for m trusted guy. My tank is to precious to play around. I don't this other place from a hole in wall so...

I'll wait till Monday. I hope it doesn't cause any ill effects that's it's past my water change day by 2 days. I know... I know... But I have everything planned out so it throws me off. Thanks for all your help/advice Rick.

Glad I'm not the only one with OCD when it comes to fish tanks lol!

As for the water changing being late for 2 days, you should be fine. I've skipped water changes a few times by a week or more. Not the best idea, but just didn't have the time. You'll be fine by 2 days.

AquaRick said:
Glad I'm not the only one with OCD when it comes to fish tanks lol!

As for the water changing being late for 2 days, you should be fine. I've skipped water changes a few times by a week or more. Not the best idea, but just didn't have the time. You'll be fine by 2 days.

Thanks Rick, always feel better after getting your opinion. Enjoy your day! I'm headed to the saltwater fish store. Gonna see what kind of new corals they got. Supposedly they got some new exotic kinds from Australia. Probably a lot of money but it doesn't hurt to window shop... Or does it? lol.

Thanks Rick, always feel better after getting your opinion. Enjoy your day! I'm headed to the saltwater fish store. Gonna see what kind of new corals they got. Supposedly they got some new exotic kinds from Australia. Probably a lot of money but it doesn't hurt to window shop... Or does it? lol.

If you're anything like me, then yes, it does hurt to window shop! lol. Aussie corals are gorgeous...at least to me and compared to their Indonesian counterparts. Let me know what you come back with lol!:D

Convict2161 said:

My LFS gets corals for everywhere , and had told me more than once , the " Australia " thing is so they can raise the price as a " exotic " coral . He sells his australia the same as every other , and every other LFS is pissed cause he sells so cheep ( people drive 2-3 hours ) .

And really when you stop to think about it aren't all corals exotic ?

And yes window shopping dose hurt .... It leads to walking in to check for " new stock " .....and then the emptying of your wallet :p

My LFS gets corals for everywhere , and had told me more than once , the " Australia " thing is so they can raise the price as a " exotic " coral . He sells his australia the same as every other , and every other LFS is pissed cause he sells so cheep ( people drive 2-3 hours ) .

And really when you stop to think about it aren't all corals exotic ?

And yes window shopping dose hurt .... It leads to walking in to check for " new stock " .....and then the emptying of your wallet :p

Aussie corals tend to be much hardier than the indonesian versions. Aussie corals also tend to come in rarer colors.

Back
Top Bottom