Question regarding filter media.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Devilishturtles

Aquarium Advice Addict
Here's probably a stupid question for you guys. I've been running carbon and phosban in an HOB filter, an AC 500 that I loaded with sand, liverock rubble, carbon, and the phosban. It made microbubbles like mad in the water, which was extrememly annoying and I didn't really think the stuff was working (the phosban). The microbubbles were really getting to me, so I unplugged the filter and have had the phosban and carbon sock sitting in the water but not in any way running through any filtration.

I've noticed that the bits of macroaglae in my tank have really taken off (in a bad way) but that the film algae that ususally grows on my glass is almost non existant. But I notice that when it does grow on the glass, it's full of bubbles. Not in a slimy way like cyano or dinos, but just like film algae with bubbles. So I guess I have 2 questions.

1. Can the addition of microbubbles from equipment (skimmers, HOB, powerheads, etc.) actually fuel algae? and...

2. Is it okay to just leave the carbon and phosban floating in the water? Or am I really nullifying it's effects? So far, I'm pleased with the results, but the macroalgae is taking off so that could be why I'm not seeing any green algae. Their prescense doesn't bother me at all in comparison to how the HOB annoyed me.

I`m sure the macro is out competing the nuisance algea. If you like the results then I say stick with it. Do you have anything to consume the macro for you or do you have to manually remove.

Was the HOB increasing the flow on the front glass? FWIW I've noticed that I get more algae, on the glass at least, in the highest flow areas.
Is it okay to just leave the carbon and phosban floating in the water?
It will limit the effects and efficiency, but should still do something. That may be why the macros are taking off.? I would recommend kneading the media once or twice a week. That will break up any clumps and allow fresher media, from the center where flow may not be reaching, access to water/nutrients. It may also save you some media.
I know what you mean about HOB equipment/micro-bubbles being so annoying. That was the main reason I added a sump to my tank.
HTH

My understanding of the phosban is it works best with a little flow through it. I notice with too much flow, it would break up and end up in the tank and floating on the surface. I agree with MT, it will also limit the effectiveness of both.

Thanks guys. :)

Mike1, I thought about attempting another lawnmower blenny to help me control it, but with my experiences last time I dunno. Atleast maybe this time I know for sure it has lots and lots of macroalgae to eat!

Mike2, yes the HOB was creating higher flow on the glass and come to think of it, algae did grow there much better. I suppose then that one could say increased oxygenation can increase the growth of algae. :) Thanks for the tips with kneading the media, I'll give that a try after I do a major algae overhaul and water change tonight.

Scott, Thanks for the tip! I'll see if I can't figure out what is up with the HOB and keep it running. I might take out the sand and some of the rubble and see if that helps at all.

I have been entertaining the thought of a DIY holder for my phosban an purigen (on my 125) in the filter I am using now. I am thinking of getting a couple sheets of plastic and glueing them together with a space cut out to house the media bags, so that they will fit in the media "slots".

I would say your situation might be a result of the phosban working as expected. Since nuisance algae and cyano-bacteria both use phosphates as a fuel to grow the removal of those likely stunted the growth of the slimy, annoying algae. Perhaps in your system they had a stronger hold then the macro-algae though once the phosphates were lowered the macro-algae had a change to come back.

Any chemical media needs either a strong or at least gentle water flow in order for it to have maximum efficiency. I would recommend continuing to run water through the media. One suggestion I could make, in regards to the micro-bubbles would be using a canister filter for your chemical media. If you take a canister filter, strip it of all foam and bio media it can be very effective for using a wide range of chemical filtration. Perhaps using a canister filter would cut down if not eliminate the micro bubbles.

macman7010 said:
ake a canister filter, strip it of all foam and bio media it can be very effective for using a wide range of chemical filtration.
That's exactly what I use my canister for on my 55G. I do still have the ceramic rings in the top two baskets.

Hmm, interesting. I never even considered getting a canister for the tank. I'll have to start doing some googling. Any reccomendations guys? Thanks!

I like the fluvial, it's the only canister I have used. It was kind of a pain to set up, but I don't have any problems with it, except the kitten that chewed through the hoses, twice! I fixed that problem already.

I'm kind of curious about this.
If you are using it just to run media, like phosban and purigen, could Lindsay just go with a filter that is rated lower than her tank? We are assuming she has the 1.5-2 Lbs of rock per gallon....

I just purchased the fluval 305 for just that purpose. To run purigen, rowaphose and any other media I deem necessary in the future. It has been running for less than a week and has helped remove most of the algae in my tank. Also my phosphates were at .25. After running the media over the last week and performing a 20% water change the phosphates have reduced to 0.03. I must also state that I added a smal cleaning crew, about 20 snails to the tank and they've been chomping away at the algae.

Thanks chase. Do you like the Fluval? I definitley think I'm gonna try the canister route and fill it full with media, I just don't have ANY experience with them. I've been debating between the fluval and the XP series.

Well its een running only a week but I love it so far. It is very quiet and easy to setup. No complaints.

Back
Top Bottom