Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-06-2004, 12:58 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Question? Zoanthid Problems...

Hello, I had this Zoanthid that popped up from my xmas tree worm rock and has double in size the last week or two.. The problem is that it appears to be killing the coral on the xmas tree worm rock... Is there a safe way to remove and possibly relocate the offending creature?? I have attached a picture with the Zoanthid fully open and one with him closed.

Thanks..

Bill

Old 03-06-2004, 01:00 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

By the way... Does anyone know what that striped arm coming out of the rock is? At times, I have seen it stick all four arms out

Old 03-06-2004, 02:50 PM   #3
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill0298
By the way... Does anyone know what that striped arm coming out of the rock is? At times, I have seen it stick all four arms out
It's a banded serpent star

The best way to remove the polyp is carefully cut it at it's base with a very sharp exacto blade. Get as close to the rock as possible and be sure to wear rubber gloves. The frag can then be located to a different area or placed in a bowl/veil set up to re-attach for later placement.

Be sure afterwards you place some epoxy puddy over that area you cut the zoo from or you will get new ones and the problem could be worse than just the one. They spread quite quickly when they are in the right area.

Cheers
Steve
Old 03-08-2004, 06:10 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for the info Steve, I will give that a try....

Bill

Tags
zoanthid

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com