Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-18-2011, 01:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Questions???

Ok so I just bought a canister filter and a skimmer for my new 125 gallon tank. I am starting completely over and trying to go as slow as I can. Is a ro/di that important should I get one is what I'm getting at. Are the ones on eBay any good? Also my canister filter is a marineland multistage canister filter c-160 and my skimmer is a coralife super skimmer needle wheel protein skimmer 125 gallon are these good items??

Old 01-18-2011, 01:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

I also bought these of of foster and smith aquatics I this a good site??

Old 01-18-2011, 02:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Sorry so many question but my grandma lives in Jacksonville Florida what if I had her get me a bunch of sand from the beach would that work like the sand u buy?
Old 01-18-2011, 05:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

What are you looking to keep? Canister filters are not the best for salt water and you would want a sump. Don't buy stuff new, then research it. Research what you want, then find it used. For your first tank at least. For example, if you want fish only, you could get a power compact fixture cheap, but if you want corals, T5HO is good, and you could get a MH system used fairly affordably.

Do you live in Jax? You will need about 4 five gallon buckets of sand. Shipping would be insane. Taking Beach sand could be against the law. Many will say its a bad idea as you don't know what pollutants are in the water.

PLEASE read about fishless cycling.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:17 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

My budy who ownes a bunch of salt tanks said I need a canister filter and I am cycling right now bc I messed up the first time I am looking to do a sump bit still reading up on them
Old 01-18-2011, 07:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Oh and eventually coral but not yet
Old 01-25-2011, 09:34 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Get a sump on the 125. I have a sm 30 with a canister but my 120 runs a sump. If you dont have the cash to buy one already set up....build your own sump out of an old 30-40 gal tank. Thats how i got my feet wet....looked at how sumps were designed, drew on the outside with a permarker where each wall/baffle went, then took the tank to my local glass shop. Left the tank so they could make sure each piece fit snuggly. I epoxied them in. And after apoxy curred... Hooked it up. I had the tank already and I think the additional glass cost maybe $30. I even had them cut a piece to sit on top with holes in it to cut down on splashing & salt creep. A few months later i added a refugium to the side Just recently I changed my home made one for a used plexi number i found with a built in refugium.
Join a local reef club if you can. And keep your eyes open for quality used eqipment. Dont waste $$ on cheap quality....it rarely works right & costs you more because you have to replace it.
If you cant find a drawing of how the sump is seperated... Let me know & i can send you a sketch.

Good luck!
Old 01-25-2011, 09:42 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

RO/DI units on Ebay are fine. Don't have her ship sand from the beach because the live bacteria will die if not properly sealed. Also, check craigslist; there's always someone on there trying to get rid of their setup because they are moving. The closer they are to moving, the better chance you have at getting a better deal because they'll get to the point where they just want to get rid of it.

uscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:30 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

For a 125 return the canister filter. Run a sump for sure. Go and buy sand, do not ever take sand from the beach. Check the pics on my profile of my 120 gallon it will give you a good idea of what you need. You need a sump tank with a protein skimmer and a return pump. Also have to get the plumbing for it. 125 gallon is pretty big for a first time SW tank.

***Pics now on profile***
rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:11 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well I was running a 29 for a bit but it was way to small for me lol go big or go home ya know. And I just bought a pro flex sump and am still setting it up but can I run the canister also?? And I have these other filter things that stay on the inside of tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com