Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-25-2011, 07:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to fadetoblack06
Questions

Hi everyone, I have multiple questions because i want to change over my fresh water to a saltwater tank. First I will name off the things that I have. I have a 55 gallon tank with a coralife light fixture with two 50/50 lights in it, I have sand on the bottom of the tank, I have a canister filter, a power head, heater, thermometer, and air bubbler on the back. My question is what else would I need to change this over to saltwater? From what I have read I need Salt, a hydrometer, and coral, and obviously fish too. I was told that I need a protein skimmer and I also was told by a friend who has a saltwater and does not have a protein skimmer and her tanks are fine. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Here is a good link for ya to start with

Stock list and tips for maintaining your SW tank.

if you want to keep corals i would go with a skimmer on that size tank. Also be prepared for some sticker shock on the price of lighting you'll need for corals.

Good luck and if youhave any specific questions after reading the article just ask, plenty of people here willing to help out!

Old 08-25-2011, 07:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have a light fixture already, it has two 65 watt 50/50 lights in it is that big enough? and I heard doing live plants is really tough so I would probably want to stay away from them. Also do I have to clear out my freshwater? thats what is in there now or can I "change" it into a saltwater?
Old 08-25-2011, 07:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You would have to empty the tank completely, scrub it down and add sand. regular gravel isnt good for sw, traps too much debris which means nitrates and other nasty stuff.

The lights you have in my opinion would only sustain very easy corals like mushrooms and zooas maybe. In sw we don't use 50/50 bulbs we use a combination of whites (10k-14k) and blues (actinics) for coral growth.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thats what the light is. I have attached a picture, correct me if I'm wrong but thats what I was told they are. I do have sand and not gravel, can I rinse that really well or should I get some new sand?
Old 08-25-2011, 07:36 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I woudl get new sand, easier and pretty cheap too. I used pool filter sand in my 125g and it was $5 for 50lbs.

yeah, you have a two bulb fixture, most corals require a 4 bulb fixture.

here is a cheap but ok fixture for saltwater

4Ft/4Bulbs fixture

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com