Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-08-2011, 09:21 AM   #51
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Thats' my main concern too with going to a 220g, the lighting. It's much deeper than the 180 so I think the lighting will have to be spot on. Thats the one thing that might hold me back to a 180 instead of the 220.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:27 AM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
Thats' my main concern too with going to a 220g, the lighting. It's much deeper than the 180 so I think the lighting will have to be spot on. Thats the one thing that might hold me back to a 180 instead of the 220.
Yep, I agree. For me the $780 lighting is already a good amount of money, and that is just for the lighting. I was just thinking, couldn't you put all of the corals you wanted a little higher up (where they would be at the bottom if the tank was a 180g) and then still have the extra 40 gallons for fish? Thanks so much!

redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:15 AM   #53
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If only I had the money, I found a MH setup for $300 with 3 X 250w bulbs adn 4 t5's. :-( I think that would probably penetrate the 220g pretty good but I be broke this week. lol The only other option is LED's and we all know how much that would be- too much!
Old 11-08-2011, 11:26 AM   #54
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
If only I had the money, I found a MH setup for $300 with 3 X 250w bulbs adn 4 t5's. :-( I think that would probably penetrate the 220g pretty good but I be broke this week. lol The only other option is LED's and we all know how much that would be- too much!
I know how it feels to find a great deal and have it slip away, it has happened to me before, LOL. I had more money for this build, but then I went to the pet store a few times, and now I have about $150 less, I also recently bought a $50 pump to try to help me with water changes. (I need a good system because I should do them a lot more often than I do). Now I am not allowing myself to buy anymore livestock I save my money for this build (we'll see how that goes) .

Thanks for posting!
Old 11-14-2011, 08:49 PM   #55
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I use this one

CPR CS102 SIPHON AQUARIUM OVERFLOW BOX by CPR Aquatic - AquaCave

It's a CPR continuous type, has no J tubes to hold siphon. I had an eshopps overflow with J tubes but always lost siphon so I went wen this one instead.
Hi Carey, I know that you use this to get water to your sump, but what do you use for a sump? Thanks!

Unfortunately, I will not be getting that fish tank. This might be a sign that I should start with something smaller instead. I think I will go with a 125g.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:13 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also, is that overflow for all sized tanks? Is there something special I need to select on the website? (Where it says select your package). Thanks!
Old 11-14-2011, 09:26 PM   #57
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Deluxe has a vacuum pump to start and keep the siphon . So if your power flickers it will start back up.
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:35 PM   #58
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondatek View Post
Deluxe has a vacuum pump to start and keep the siphon . So if your power flickers it will start back up.
Oh....ok thanks. I will be getting that one then. What will happen if my power is out for about an hour until the generator gets up and running? Will it backwards siphon? Do you have this overflow also, if so what do you use for a sump? Sorry for all for these questions, and thanks for lookin at my thread!
Old 11-14-2011, 09:41 PM   #59
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'm building right now lol. I have the same overflow and making the sump from a 55 gallon tank.whenever the power comes on the vacuum comes back on as well and starts it. I will be drilling a small hole in the exhaust back into the tank that will be submerged under normal circumstances and if it starts to back flow it will stop when the hole hits air.
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:27 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice Addict

So, does this product come with the tubing to bring the water down and up? Do I just stick the other end into the sump, and then how does the water get back up into the tank?

Also, do you have an recommendations for protein skimmers in the sump? Thanks.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com