Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redsea

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, I was looking at a 265 gallon tank on CL. Someone bought it:( So I now have some questions.
1. How many Tangs could I put in a 180g?
2. Do I have to have a sump if I want a reef?
3. What is your tank size that you may upgrade to one day?
4. This will certainly be my last upgrade, so do you think this is too small?
5. What is the highest number of gallons tank you would upgrade to before you thought it was too much work?
Thanks.

I am kinda bummed that I couldn't get the 265g, but everything happens for a reason, and maybe it would be too much work for me. For example, If I did a 10% water change every week, I would have to change 26.5 gallons.
I found a few 180g's on CL. Maybe that would be better. What do you think? I really don't want to get a bigger tank after this one.

Hmmm,,that does stink..I remember looking for months and bam,,finally got my deal..

Tangs in a 180,,2 for sure ..possibly 3
I think a sump is almost a must on any tank
I did just upgrade to my bigger tank(don't think it will be my last:lol:)
Question is do you think its too small...for me ,,yes it would be
Don't think the tank would ever really be too much work at any size if you have the proper set up..

Thanks! So, if I did go with a sump, would the tank have to be drilled? Also do you know any sumps you can buy? I really know nothing about sumps or plumbing or anything like that, LOL.

redsea said:
Thanks! So, if I did go with a sump, would the tank have to be drilled? Also do you know any sumps you can buy? I really know nothing about sumps or plumbing or anything like that, LOL.

A drilled tank is nice but there are ways around it. You could just take a smaller tank say 20%of the dt volume and make it into a sump. My 90 has a 20g tank turned sump. My dt is drilled btw.

A drilled tank is nice but there are ways around it. You could just take a smaller tank say 20%of the dt volume and make it into a sump. My 90 has a 20g tank turned sump. My dt is drilled btw.

:thanks: So what would I use to get the water down to the sump and back up? If I just bought a tank, would I put dividers in for the different compartments? Also, what compartments would I need? I think a refugium would be a good idea. If I need dividers, where can I buy them? Do I have ot cut them myself? Do they make any sumps already made with dividers etc.? Sorry for all of these blabbering!:)

Thank you everyone! I think I am going to go with a 180 Gallon. I see one on CL. That I have my eyes on. It is a 180g with stand for $400. Is that good? I can't wait to start a 180g build!

Not bad at all imo. And to answer your questions from before, I personally would go bigger if its gonna be your last upgrade. (Im thinking a 320g for my final upgrade) and the number of tangs depends on what types you are interested in. The bigger tangs, id say 2-3, go with a few smaller tangs and prob 3-4. Oh and as the dumps concerned, it'll save you alot of headache and frustration later down the road if you add on a sump now:)

Thank you everyone! So, as it looks right now, the smallest I will go is a 180g. I could possibly go bigger, but not likely. I have decided to do at least a sump (probably a refugium too). I think when I get the tank, I will purchase the hang on the back overflow that carey has. I also need to do some more reading on those links so I can learn more. I have emailed someone on CL about a 180g, but I haven't gotten a response yet. We'll see! Also, I definitely want this to be a reef tank, so I was wondering what lighting you recommend. Not exactly sure what corals I want yet...but I want a mixed reef. As far as fish go, I definitely want some Tangs! Any suggestions? I was thinking Scopas, Yellow, and Salfin to go with my Blue Hippo. What do you think? Also, I want some Wrasses! Is there a certain amount of male Wrasses I can keep in a tank this size?

Thanks!

reef lighting isn't cheap, just a friendly warning so you don't go into sticker shock when you see how much. I would recommend the same fixture that I have, it's a 12 bulb 6 foot light. It's a nova extreme pro. :)

Unless you are gonna wanna pony up for metal halides. lol

reef lighting isn't cheap, just a friendly warning so you don't go into sticker shock when you see how much. I would recommend the same fixture that I have, it's a 12 bulb 6 foot light. It's a nova extreme pro. :)

Unless you are gonna wanna pony up for metal halides. lol

Thank you. I don't think I will go with Halide's, too expensive. I am going to check out that fixture right now!

Cool. You want at least 6 bulbs on each side minimum with that size tank. Unless you do 2 8 bulb fixtures. :)

Is this it?

Current USA Nova Extreme Pro T5HO 10k/460nm Actinics

Carey, what kinds of corals can you keep with the nova lighting?
Thanks.

I'm keeping everything right now. I have alot of corals. lol

I have everything from soft corals up to SPS ones. I do have the SPS higher up in the tank though but nothing too extreme.

I've got brain corals, zooas, leather, LPS, monti's, arcopora, birdsnest, GSP, and a bunch of others. I;m trying to get one of like everything in genus. hehe...or at least I'm trying

Cool. You want at least 6 bulbs on each side minimum with that size tank. Unless you do 2 8 bulb fixtures. :)
So I would need two of these fixtures? Sorry I don't know much about lighting:lol:.
I'm keeping everything right now. I have alot of corals. lol

I have everything from soft corals up to SPS ones. I do have the SPS higher up in the tank though but nothing too extreme.

I've got brain corals, zooas, leather, LPS, monti's, arcopora, birdsnest, GSP, and a bunch of others. I;m trying to get one of like everything in genus. hehe...or at least I'm trying

Awesome. You add Calcium and Kalkwasser right? What else do you add and for what corals?
I'm glad I found the right fixture, at first I was unsure if this was the one you were talking about. Does $699 seem like a good price?
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom