Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-29-2011, 03:15 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

questions about clowns

i have 2 Ocellaris clowns in my tank. i know the smaller one is gonna be the male,but they have been the same size for a year now. does the size matter? or are they both the same sex? they both love the nems but only one swims through and stays in the nems, and the other swims all around the tank and sometimes watches over the other while he or she is in the nems.

also i want to get one more fish (somthing kinda big and colorful) but after getting attacked and bitten 4 times today while cleaning the glass, i wounder if anything else will survive..

its a 55 gal with 30 gal sump/fuge. and all i have in there is the cuc, 2 clowns and a royal grama. (im sure that i got that one wrong) and 3 shrimp. oh and it is a reef tank

Old 08-29-2011, 06:14 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

size doesn't matter at the moment,the time will come when one will become the most dominant and become the female,you will see them twitching at each other during this process,you can definately add another fish.

David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:00 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yep, you can add a few more fish in my opinion, how about a blenny and/or a goby? They both keep to themselves and are "happy" type fish so they should all get along.

I also wouldnt worry about the clowns, as mentioned above they will sort things out themselves most likely.

You could also add some shrimp...peppermints, cleaners or fire shrimpp even. If you coral banded then you need to get only one or a true mated pair as those shrimp will kill each other.

I personally like the cleaner shrimps, colorful and fun to watch.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:40 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I admire you, 55 gal and UNDERstocked, haven't heard that one in a while! Well done for your patience
Old 08-30-2011, 11:57 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

well thank you... im under stocked cause i have no idea what to get. iv got suggestions from other members, but im looking for a larger body colorful fish that is ok for a 55 gal. and reef safe.but there really aren't any.

but im not too happy about all the work that goes into this tank for just 3 little fish, so im going to both of my lfs today and WILL find something nice.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:58 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausfish View Post
I admire you, 55 gal and UNDERstocked, haven't heard that one in a while! Well done for your patience
Bigford84 must have the same condition I have....."Lack-o-money". Something Carey doesn't appear to suffer from. hehehehehe
Old 08-30-2011, 12:02 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'm broke like no joke. Seriously....I just went on a recent rampage with corals lol.

I still have 4 tanks to sell too....God knows I need the money....the 125g needs new bulbs and I think I may go LED on the rimless yet. The stupid MH I have on it is not making me happy. Just ordered a new bulb for it though so I'll see if that helps.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:06 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
I'm broke like no joke. Seriously....I just went on a recent rampage with corals lol.

I still have 4 tanks to sell too....God knows I need the money....the 125g needs new bulbs and I think I may go LED on the rimless yet. The stupid MH I have on it is not making me happy. Just ordered a new bulb for it though so I'll see if that helps.
What size tanks u selling?
Old 08-30-2011, 12:06 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigford84
well thank you... im under stocked cause i have no idea what to get. iv got suggestions from other members, but im looking for a larger body colorful fish that is ok for a 55 gal. and reef safe.but there really aren't any.

but im not too happy about all the work that goes into this tank for just 3 little fish, so im going to both of my lfs today and WILL find something nice.
Try a coral beauty. Brings out a great focal point.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:07 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Wow your tank looks great! And way to go being understocked! Cant wait to see what fish you get

Tags
clown, clowns

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com