Questions about my two Clownfish and Anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dgameman1

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have an orange/white clownfish, and a black/white clownfish.

The orange/white clownfish is a bit bigger and keeps darting straight into the black/white clown fish every now and then. Not too sure exactly what's happening. =/

The orange/white clownfish was by himself at the LFS while the black/white clownfish was with a bunch of other black/white clownfish and we tried to pick the bigger one.

Second question, I currently have an anemone that looks like this
JMpQmOV.jpg

What kind of anemone is this and will the clownfish eventually host in it? Cause at the moment, they're not even going near it.

The clowns are probably just duking it out to see who will be dominant.

As for the nem, it looks to be a sebae anemone and unfortuantely on its way to its deathbed.

What kind of lights do you have, and what are you water parameters?

The clowns are probably just duking it out to see who will be dominant.

As for the nem, it looks to be a sebae anemone and unfortuantely on its way to its deathbed.

What kind of lights do you have, and what are you water parameters?

Sounds good about the clownfish!

About the name, I took that picture within the first ten minutes of putting it into my tank so it may have been a bit freaked out.
I have 62 watts in my 29 gallon tank.
After about 3 hours, my name is just chilling on the bottom is a lot more opened up but still not completely open =/
Amonnia, Nitrite, Nitrate are 0

Just out of curiosity Is this a new tank, and was it cycled?

As for the lights, what exact type of lights do you have? If T5s, how many bulbs. If LEDs what is the wattage for a single LED?

Unfortunately sebaes are one of the more difficult nems and barely any clown species will host it. You will need much stronger lighting than those 2 t5s for it. Think 6-8 t5s/metal halides or powerful leds

Are you serious? I specifically asked my LFS about which Anemone to get =/

Are you sure this is a sebae nem?

From the pic it looks like it but maybe get one with it fully extended. The picture is kinda hard to tell

It was a new tank, but I got live sand and live rock. They're T5's and they're two long bulbs.

This is the thread I made for lighting
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f11/lighting-for-coral-292509.html

a 2bulb T5 is not going to support any anemone. You could get away with a 4 bulb and a BTA, but that's cutting it close.

In the thread you mentioned, you should have asked about anemones. They require the most light, like SPS corals. Your lighting won't cut it I'm afraid.

a 2bulb T5 is not going to support any anemone. You could get away with a 4 bulb and a BTA, but that's cutting it close.

In the thread you mentioned, you should have asked about anemones. They require the most light, like SPS corals. Your lighting won't cut it I'm afraid.

Are you sure about that?
I bought a
Aqualight High Output T5 Dual Lamp Fixtures
Which included One, 10k Daylight and One, 10k Blue Light

Are you sure about that?
I bought a
Aqualight High Output T5 Dual Lamp Fixtures
Which included One, 10k Daylight and One, 10k Blue Light

Yup pretty much. Well, maybe a condy or a max-mini, but those don't host clowns and are more aggressive.

Yup pretty much. Well, maybe a condy or a max-mini, but those don't host clowns and are more aggressive.

... This is really upsetting =/
How much more lighting would I need to be able to host an anenome?

Depends which specie you want to keep. BTAs maybe 4 bulb T5. Sebaes 4-6 bulbs T5. Or a quality LED fixture and you could grow whatever you wanted.

Depends which specie you want to keep. BTAs maybe 4 bulb T5. Sebaes 4-6 bulbs T5. Or a quality LED fixture and you could grow whatever you wanted.

Jesus, =/ what a pain :(

Here's a second look at my nem
px0m6ja.jpg

You guys sure this is a sebae? And let's say I do go ahead and upgrade my lighting, there's still no hope in my clownfish hosting in this?

Nope, agree with all the above comments. It is possible that your clowns won't host any nem, ever. It's hit and miss, they won't go for the sebae but you'd have better luck with a bubble tip if any. I keep two bubble tips, my female clown hosts one and my male hosts a hammer coral, the other nem solo. Go figure. I also recommend waiting a Good 6-8 months before trying a nem, as they are particularly sensitive to swings in parameters, which new tanks are prone to. Do you keep a log book of your tanks readings? Pay close attention to temp and salinity, you don't want to see fluctuations with that at all. If you can keep your tank stable and upgrade your lighting it may pull through.

Nope, agree with all the above comments. It is possible that your clowns won't host any nem, ever. It's hit and miss, they won't go for the sebae but you'd have better luck with a bubble tip if any. I keep two bubble tips, my female clown hosts one and my male hosts a hammer coral, the other nem solo. Go figure. I also recommend waiting a Good 6-8 months before trying a nem, as they are particularly sensitive to swings in parameters, which new tanks are prone to. Do you keep a log book of your tanks readings? Pay close attention to temp and salinity, you don't want to see fluctuations with that at all. If you can keep your tank stable and upgrade your lighting it may pull through.

Thank you so so much for all your help! I'm going to go back to my LFS and return my anemone so it doesn't die. I'm going to upgrade my lighting and then wait longer until I get a BTA. Thank you once again.

Back
Top Bottom