Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-28-2005, 07:25 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to dscount Send a message via Yahoo to dscount
I'd totally use it as well. BUT.. I would take a more dramatic cleaning approach.

Scrub like crazy in the tub, wash down with shower nozzle and then plop in as much as possible into a the Dish Washer. No soap/detergent or what not should be well blasted. If you have that rinse stuff spitting out then CANCEL this idea.

NOTE: Do NOT let you wife/spouse see you do this!

2nd Approach is your PWC buckets and a visit to the local self car wash and blast them in the bucket. (Again no soap).

Now, I've not actually tried this so your mileage may vary. HTH

Old 12-29-2005, 02:02 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to Ricky@3rdshift
I think I am gonnna go get some of the nicer rock pieces, and wash them down with a presure washer, see what they look like then. Then boil each piece, if looking good I will place them in a tank of freshwater with a power head blowing over them for a few weeks. Changing water out as needed. if all goes well I may switch them into saltwater and see what happens.

if they make it this far would adding those bio zymes work or should I throw in some live sand, or live rock rubble to seed it?

55 gallon saltwater madness!!!
Work at Petco, , and no I am not responsible for their fish.
Ricky@3rdshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 01:21 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Follow Hara's advice. Clean the rock then keep it overnight in white vinegar. Follow that with a fresh water rinse, then into a salt water bath. Throw in some snails for a copper test (acclimate them properly).

If all goes well you got free rock.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 04:53 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

yea I was wondering about the vinegar. I am probably gonna o get some rock this weekend and see how it goes. Could I just test the water for copper instead of using snails?

Old 12-29-2005, 06:33 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Copper test might not do it. Critters will live and eat off the rock and find copper, but I don't think a test will find it.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 10:38 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

*UPDATE*

I have gotten mucho info on rock. Last september It was found in closed tubs of water, in the crawl space of my grandfathers house. It was dumped out and laid on top of the rock beds he has around his house and never touched since. They said it stank when it 1st came out. It still smells fishy when you get it wet, and I have washed it out soaked it in scalding hotwater/water conditioner and placed a few pieces in a running SW tank to see wat happens.

Old 01-26-2006, 11:00 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Re: Questions about old long dead dried live rock??

I would use it and have use it for my base rock. I got some pieces from an old tank I bought and they have worked out fine. Nothing that was outside. But with proper wash in QT time. It should work out fine.

"I am sure it would need some time in a QT tank with good SW washing over."

Actually saltwater flow up from under the rock is best.

www.tampabaysaltwater.com
watch this move from the home page. It shows a lot about LR.

I also checked out www.hirocks.com Nice site with good deals
Old 01-28-2006, 11:10 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via MSN to The Blue Fish Send a message via Yahoo to The Blue Fish
Dead rock to live rock

Hello Everyone,
I would do this. Take a hose to it and wash the holy hell out of it. Don’t worry; it is dead as dead gets so you are not going to hurt anything. Get yourself a “new” outside plastic trashcan, $6-$15. Get some salt water from your LFS, like Catalina water. It’s about $.40 to $.50 a gallon over here. Get yourself a bubbler and a couple small power heads. If you are lucky like I am, your LFS will sell you a used filter to hang of the side of the can itself. Let it cycle for a while. Use the water from your tanks water change for the live rock’s water change. After a couple weeks test the water for copper. If everything looks good pick up a couple pounds of like rock from a LFS and add it to the can. Along with the water from your tank, this should help new growth on the rock. At this point you should start feeding the rock Calcium, etc. those little calcium block would be ideal because this is not something you will be looking at everyday. I would give it a couple more weeks, and test again. If everything looks good, add some snails. This will let you know if the rock is really copper safe. If you want to get real crazy, ad a Damsel or two. Also, it would be great if you had an extra PC you could use. I did this with about 80 lbs of live rock my buddy gave me that was sitting outside for a couple months. I added the rock to my new tank about 3 months ago and it looks great. One other thing, I'm sure this was over kill. I had some live sand in the trashcan that I had just taken out of my sump.

Good Luck!

Nick

Tags
dead, live, live rock, long, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com