Questions about sea sponges

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BertuzziBreaksNecks

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have 20 gal tank set up for just over a year now, I started adding corals a few months ago which are all doing great, my frogspawn is actually growing a completely new head at the moment.

So I have some White Sea sponge that came on some premium love rock I bought a few months back. The stuff is growing like crazy all over my rocks. So here's my question, a friend had told me that the fact it's growing so much means I have to many nutrients in my water, and that's bad? Is there any truth to that? Are white sponges bad for my tank or harm and of my corals?

Thanks

Not necessarily too much nutrients. It's growing because the parameters are ideal. Sponges don't directly hurt anything, but in some cases they can cover valuable real estate that attractive corals could be using. It's up to you whether you want to keep it, or tear some off.

Thank you mr. X, I didn't think there could possibly be a abundance of nutrients or a water problem if every coral I have is reproducing!

Back
Top Bottom