Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-01-2006, 02:27 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
Questions about some corals.

How do you guys think some zoos would do in an LPS tank. It doesnt look busy enough between corals in my tank IMO. I run carbon 24/7 btw so toxins wouldnt be much of a problem.

37 gal all glass
50lb LR
3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 10:20 PM   #2
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
I imagine it would be OK. Just give them plenty of room.

melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 01:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
zoos are a great addition to any reef tank regardless of the theme. LPS, SPS, softies whatever. They make beautiful fill and cover.
55 gallon
dual 175 MH w/ dual 32W PC Actinics
75# LR
runway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 02:36 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
zoos are a great addition to any reef tank regardless of the theme
I completely disagree. The rapidly spreading zoos could suffocate a very innocent, yet expensive SPS colony in no time flat. I keep my zoos and shrooms in a tank that is not my SPS tank for that very reason.

LPS shouldn't be so bad though and I would think that even if they spread to the base of a frogspawn or candy cane they wouldn't do any harm to the coral. I have seen them take over an open brain and cause it not to be able to open anymore. A little delicate surgery removed all of the zoo polyps from the brain skeletin and allowed the brain to open again as it gained strength.

If you had any expensive LPS I'd keep the zoos and shrooms at the other end of town, personally.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote

coral, corals

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com