Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-01-2007, 10:35 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
As far as feeding goes, I feed every other day. I use those frozen cubes of mysis and feed them about 3/4 of the cube. About 3 times a week I also give them Cyclopeeze. Finally, I use DT's and some other phytoplankton food alternatively every couple days.
This could be part of the problem. I suggest offering algae based foods along with the mysis. Hang dry seadweed strips for the tangs and also feed spirulina flake (I like OSO). Also, make sure you soak the food in suppliments like selcon, vita-chem, garlic or zoe.

Old 06-01-2007, 12:56 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

The qt of fish at lfs' is not a recommended failsafe. The fact of the matter is that they have a large number of fish cycling in and out of their systems at any given time throughout the week and even if qt is practiced, the fish would still be reintroduced to parasites/infections once back in the main system. What is the conditioning of the fish near their deaths? Do they look to be getting thin, color loss, etc? Although I agree with a varied diet, 3-4wks of mysis before death shouldn't be a cause for concern as long as they are all eating it. My thoughts are along the lines of internal parasites as a possibility given the time frame of deaths...

Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 01:35 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Do you know what the temp drops to a few hours after lights out? If it is more than 2 degrees, that may be your problem.
It does not drop significantly, the heaters kick right in.

Quote:
This could be part of the problem. I suggest offering algae based foods along with the mysis. Hang dry seadweed strips for the tangs and also feed spirulina flake (I like OSO). Also, make sure you soak the food in suppliments like selcon, vita-chem, garlic or zoe.
I actually do hang dry seaweed strips, just forgot to mention that one. Actually, as a side question, do you guys now how long a package of those last? Mine came in a plastic, clamshell container and I've had it for a few months now. Also, the blue tang is pretty much the only one that eats it. Well, and the cleaner shrimp when he can get to it. lol.

I am going to look for selcon, vita-chem and garlic next time I go to the LFS. I have not seen those there before, just the usual supplements and additives.

Its just that they all eat so well and eagerly that it makes me think like food isn't the issue.

Quote:
What is the conditioning of the fish near their deaths? Do they look to be getting thin, color loss, etc?
This is the most frustrating part of the whole thing. All but one of them were eating and swimming around shortly before death. And by shortly I mean the day before, within 24 hours. As such, I see no real physical symptoms that would occur if the fish died over a longer period of time. The problem is I havn't been able to see them within the hours before their deaths to observe what actually happens. I just find the poor things.

The Copperband was eating the week before his death. And then one day I fed and although he was swimming around and looked great, he didn't eat. I thought, okay no big deal, he has done that before. He was still sort of grazing. Next day he was dead.

A yellow tang that died was the most bizarre one. He was one of the first fish I'd put in the tank in December. The day before he died he looked great and ate, next day he was dead.

One of the flame angels did pretty much the same thing as the yellow tang except the feeding before he died, he did not eat. Then sort of swam towards the back and died.

Sorta frustrating.
Old 06-01-2007, 02:53 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would be curious hyosafi what you are paying for these fish that you have bought. Sudden death can very easily be related to capture using Cyanide. While it's outlawed darn near world wide it still happens and when it does fish can look fine then bang they are gone. This could be your problem?
Old 06-01-2007, 02:55 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I've read that fish captured in this way appear to look better then the other fish, some say almost with a glow and then a few weeks later are dead.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 03:06 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
I would be curious hyosafi what you are paying for these fish that you have bought. Sudden death can very easily be related to capture using Cyanide. While it's outlawed darn near world wide it still happens and when it does fish can look fine then bang they are gone. This could be your problem?
Well, the Yellow Tang that died was $35, the Flame Angels were about $50 each, the Anthias were A LOT as there were 4 of the, so about $85 for those. The Copperband was on sale for $22. Aww, why'd you make me thinkg of how much money I've lost!!!

Its looking like one of the main conclusions here is the source of my fish might be the cause of my problem. In a couple of weeks I'm going to buy a couple fish from the swanky LFS I was talking about. Hopefully things will go better for them.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:20 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you run a UV light? I would run fishless for a few months in case its a some type of bacteria that is killing the fish. Can you get a UV and run it for a few months in the hopes of killing off and bad bacteria.
I had what some thought was brookanylla and it killed off every fish in my tank. They showed signs of illness. Ran fishless for about 3 months with a large UV and it killed off the disease.

Good luck with what ever you do. I would look into a better acclimation process also, the float and dump method is not that good.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coral, corals, long, pics, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com