Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-31-2007, 05:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Questions abouts some Corals and Tank Update w/ Pics (Long)

Hi guys, its been a while since I've posted an update about my tank and I've got a few questions so I thought this would be a good time.

Here was my tank in early December:

And then in late January:

__________________________________________________ _________________

Since this time, pretty much everything in my tank has been golden except for FISH. This is my biggest issue. Althought my water quality is pretty much perfect, most of my fish do not survive past 3 or 4 weeks. Currently, I've got that same blue tang, ONE percula, a bicolor psuedo and a scooter blenny.

When the fish do die, its seems to be similiar in that there are no signs of distress or anything before they die. For everything that died, the previous day the fish was swimming around, being social AND eating. No exaggeration. The next day I would find it dead. It happened to the anthias, the yellow tang, 2 flame angels and a copperband butterfly (Over about 4-5 months). It is very frustrating because like I said, water quality is literally perfect (0 nitrates/nitrites). The last fish I added was about 6 weeks ago with the Copperband Butterfly. He immediately was eating, being social and doing great for about 3 weeks. Then one day I came home and he was dead.

What I did notice is that the deaths started happening after I added a Coral Branded Shrimp. He pretty much hides out all day and does his own thing and only acts aggresive somethings goes near his area , then he will sort of snap at them. Everyone says these things are peaceful and whatnot but what the heck else is killing my fish? I know I do not have any mantis shrimps or something crazy like that, and I'm having a really hard time getting the CBS out. He has like 1 foot long antennae and can feel me coming from a mile away.
__________________________________________________ _____________

Other than this minor issue of FISH NOT SURVIVING, my tank is doing great:

I have sort of gone nuts with the corals:

My questions actually have to do with a couple of the corals so I suppose I'll post about that in the Sick forum. Hopefully you guys can help me with those questions here:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewto...=819976#819976

Thanks!

Old 05-31-2007, 05:41 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
How do you acclimate the fish?
Have you purchased them all from the same store?
Does your temp and pH stay stable?
That's a beautiful tank by the way!

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 05:44 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Awesome tank! I'd go along with what Scott is picking at. It seems the place you are getting your livestock from might be your issue. Wild caught fish are notorious for dying just like you said, just a stress thing. Can you try a different store in your area?

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 06:13 PM   #4

Quote:
How do you acclimate the fish?
I pretty much just float the bag. I tried drip acclimating once but with the way my tank is setup it was a mess. I'm not sure if acclimation is the issue because the fish survive for at least 2 weeks before dying. If it were, wouldn't they show signs of stress much earlier?

Quote:
Have you purchased them all from the same store?
This is something that I thought of and unfortuantely, buying fish from different places didn't help. The fish came from 3 different LFS's (maybe 2, i'm having trouble remembering). There is a place near my house that does custom aquariums and althought their prices are quite a bit higher, I am going to get my next fish from them as they seem to quarantine their fish and keep an eye on them before selling.

Quote:
Does your temp and pH stay stable?
Indeed it does. PH stays stable at about 8.0 and my temperature is fairly stable. It ranges from between 78.5 - 80.5 throughout the day.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Lance M.
FYI scooter blennies need an established tank with plenty of lr just like mandarins, since they usually only eat live food (pods). Since you tank is about 6 months old it may be ok but watch him to make sure he doesn't deplete your pods and starve.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:25 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

That's a good point, Lance, mine now will eat frozen.
I would try the other store and see how that works out, in this case, you may be getting what you pay for. You could also ask the other LFS how the fish are caught, do they QT. I like to put a fish on hold and wait a week or so, to see how it is doing. This also calms down my "instant gratification" urge.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 05-31-2007, 07:45 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your tank looks good. Sorry to hear about your troubles with the fish. SInce you still have the regal tang, the chances of some type of parasitic infestation are low, but still possible. When a fish dies for "no apparent reason", that is, no signs of trauma, disease, etc. it is a good idea to evaluate the diet. Especialy if they are eating and seem fine one day and die teh next. Fish are very good at compensting for poor diet but then dramatically decrease in codition. Can you explain what, ho, and how often you feed the tank? Your corals look good but a listng of current water parameters is a great place to start.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:20 PM   #8
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Great looking tank. I too would like to start with the water parameters.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 08:34 PM   #9

Thanks for the replies guys.

Well I just tested my water a couple of days ago and the results were pretty much confirmed by a local LFS

Ammonia - 0
PH - 8.1
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - 0 (It really is 0 or near 0, I didn't think this was that possible but adding a fuge dropped this figure to 0)
Phosphates - I havn't tested this in a while but last time I did, phosphates were very low (lighter than the first color on the chart)
Temp - 78.5 - 81 throughout the day

I have not tested Calcium or Alkalinity recently, but I thought those were variables that affected corals more, not fish.

As far as feeding goes, I feed every other day. I use those frozen cubes of mysis and feed them about 3/4 of the cube. About 3 times a week I also give them Cyclopeeze. Finally, I use DT's and some other phytoplankton food alternatively every couple days.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:13 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Do you know what the temp drops to a few hours after lights out? If it is more than 2 degrees, that may be your problem.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott

Tags
coral, corals, long, pics, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com