Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-29-2003, 06:03 PM   #21
AA Team Emeritus

I haven't really kept up with this thread, but as for flow....I run approx 10-15 X per hour through my fuge, that's tank volume, not fuge volume. As noted you do not want turbulence, but I haven't noticed a problem having high flow.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 06:06 PM   #22
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
The wet/dry can surve as a place to put your heater and skimmer. I would put the drain line going into the refuge like you show at first. This way the water current of the drain line wont overly disturb the sand bed in the refuge.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 07:32 PM   #23
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
I remembered what I had read on the fuge flow now duh... It was an article in a magazine...don't even remember which one now. Anyway, the jist of it was that you wanted a lower flow through the fuge to allow the caulerpa more time to absorb the nutrients in the water. It made sense to me at the time, but now I'm not so sure. What do you think?
Logan J
Old 03-29-2003, 07:41 PM   #24
AA Team Emeritus

I think in a very large tank, that might be beneficial, but I have a small tank. The contact time with the nutrients in my fuge is very low, but because of the turn over, the contact time is constant, hmmmm. I also use a 3-4" layer of aragonite sand in my fuge, everything I've read says that the flow rate across a DSB should be very fast, hmmmm. I also do not use caulerpa, I use halimeda. I have tons of pods in the fuge, tons of pods in the tank, 0 nitrates, 0 phosphates and very little algae growth in the tank. I run alot of light on my 20, most would consider it overkill, and I over feed. I do not believe it is necessary to have a slow flow through a fuge, but in some cases it may be beneficial.

Old 03-29-2003, 07:46 PM   #25
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Hmm...that puts us back to "depending on your situation". I think the only absolute in this hobby is that you have to have water .
I remember reading that the halimeda needed a good supply of calcium. Have you noticed your calcium usage in the tank going up any since you added the halimeda? I might like to try some of it too.
Logan J
Old 03-29-2003, 07:51 PM   #26
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Have you noticed your calcium usage in the tank going up any since you added the halimeda?
Not really. I have a high CA demand for such a small tank cause of the SPS I dose Kalk nightly (well almost nightly, I sometimes get lazy). The only time I noticed a drop in CA and Alkalinity was when I went 3 weeks without a waterchange. I increased the amount of kalk I add to the RO water to make up for any deficiency.

Halimeda doesn't grow as fast as caulerpa, but it isn't as prone to going sexual either, this was important to me cause my fuge is lit by the tank lights, it is not lit 24hrs or RDP.

Old 03-29-2003, 08:17 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

I understand what timbo means, but I think the wet/dry should be in the plan for the "cleansing" area and the fuge, should be just that and nothing more. I love your design, I think I will do the same eventually. Well, I want to keep this thread running, so how about some other things on the fuge. (lighting, inhabitants, and so on)
Old 03-29-2003, 10:46 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Barney
I am so glad I started this thread. I feel "educated" in a way being able to talk and share idea's.

Anyway, My understanding is I want to use the fuge as my filter. Unless I am thinking wrong. I plan to have 150 lbs of live rock, 100 lbs base rock. My lighting, still thinking, of either going with 2 250 watt MH or 3 175 watt MH. I do not have the glass top, it is replaced with egg crate. The thinking of 2 250 MH, I have a 2 foot middle plate glass used to support the middle of the tank. Remember my tank is 180 gallon. I thought it was a bad idea to have light over a glass plate since it would reflect some of the light in other direction, instead of getting all of the light toward corals. I know the end two sides will have good light penetration, but I'm doing some researching on the middle part, where the glass is in place.
Old 03-29-2003, 11:00 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

I understand the fuge filter, I mean the wet/dry as the skimmer, other media if you have any, and then your heater, in the fuge you will have macroalgae and LR and LS
Old 03-30-2003, 12:36 AM   #30
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Quote:
I am so glad I started this thread. I feel "educated" in a way being able to talk and share idea's.
Thats what we are all about. If you ever feel you cant share your ideas or questions on this site then we have a serious problem.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
build, building, refugium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com