Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-12-2010, 07:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
questions on jawfish

ok so i recently found out that i was misinformed by my lfs about a clown tang's potential size. i'm planning on taking the tang back within the next few days. when i return the tang i was thinking of replacing it with a jawfish but i've heard some nasty things about them. i heard they eat shrimps, and other fish maybe if they can get it in thier mouth.

at the moment i have a hi fin banded goby which is a rather small fish and a jawfish could definately get him in his mouth, and i want to eventualy get a pistol shrimp for my goby to play with down the line.

my question is, what are some good facts and feeding habbit information and such on the jawfish, in particular i was looking at the yellow headed jawfish. any and all information is welcomed, i don't want to make the same mistake i made with the tang.

my tank is a 55 gallon, 60-80 pounds of live rock(maybe more but its quite a lot) and atm is a fowlr but i will be making it a reef tank as soon as i feel safe doing so.

Erty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:37 AM   #2
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Looks pretty peaceful to me.

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Jawfish, Yellowhead

melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:21 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
the yellow headed jawfish won't bother with anything. they are jumpers though. i hope you have a cover of some sort or you are going to find him on the carpet.
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:00 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
yea my tank is fully covered he couldnt jump out =P and thanx guys for the info. i read that link before i posted, but i was hoping someone who owned one personally could reply because that link is what made me doubt they were actually mean in the first place lol.
Erty is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com