questions on nudibranch?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikestanked

Aquarium Advice Freak
do nudi's reproduce rapidly, what if i only add one? I'm having an recurring aiptasia issue, and heard that nudi's will eat them, as far as i can tell i have 1 very small one(1/4"), and at least two (1/2") that i can see. it's been an ongoing battle. any other info on this topic would help. thanks!:banghead:

I'm sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe only Berghia nudis eat apitasia, and only apitasia, so when the apitasia is gone the Berghias will starve from a lack of food.

Peppermint shrimp seem to be the more popular choice since they're more commonly found than Berghia nudibranches and only cost a few dollars.

i would go the peppermint shrimp route, but i've heard they're hit or miss, and the aiptasia are a little large for smaller peppermint's. any info on the reproduction?

mikestanked said:
i would go the peppermint shrimp route, but i've heard they're hit or miss, and the aiptasia are a little large for smaller peppermint's. any info on the reproduction?

Berghia are only nudis that eat aipstasia buy one aftrt it clears em then trade it

i decided to go the peppermint shrimp route, since my LFS had them 3/$21 it was the cheapest route for me. they also had a bristle fin filefish but it was so ugly i couldn't see myself keeping it and for $30, they also had a copperband butterfly fish( the route i was really wanting to take) but my 30gal is to small. I also bought a Black Clown Goby awesome jet black goby. sooo... im going to dose with aiptasia-x in a few days once they new additions get settled, and hopefully the peppermint's will be sufficient enough to control the problem at hand! :popcorn:

I had the same problem and went with peppermint shrimp it was a waste of money for me so I bought a filefish thought they were ugly too best investment though cleaned my tank right up and is now my favorite fish.

yeah, they really are hit or miss. i bought one like 2 months ago and it did nothing then croaked, but this time i got 3 and hopefully they will eat the smaller ones after i dose the Aiptasia-x. but if all else fails i will be forced to get a file-fish. hopefully a green colored one, since i've heard they come in green and tan! thanks!

If the shrimps are well fed then they won't eat the apitasia. Make sure to not feed them too much, and to clean up any leftover food from your fishes meal. That'll push them to eating the apitasia (hopefully).

Yeah I plan on just feeding my sinking pellets ( just a bit, less than normal) for the next few days. Just basically for the fish and my new black clown goby. And after I do the aiptasia x we will see!

Back
Top Bottom