Questions regarding Asteria stars in a Dedicated 10 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wy Renegade

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, so something a little different this year as we are getting ready to start aquariums in the classroom. I have a student who is interested in keeping Asteria seastars specifically as her first saltwater tank, and since she is just starting out she wants to do it as cheaply as possible.

I know that most people do their best to eradicate these stars from their tanks, but I've had them for years with all types of corals and have never had any issues and most students think it is pretty cool to watch them as they go about dividing and growing.

So what I'm thinking is a simple ten gallon with a deep sandbed, live rock, a couple small Korialia pumps, a reliable heater and a cheap coralife light to get her started. Weekly water changes will eliminate the need for a protein skimmer. rock, asteria stars and seed sand will be taken from my established tanks to get things started.

I'm thinking about a few of the hardier LPS and soft corals of which I have plenty, like candy canes and mushroom corals as well. Open to other suggestions on some hardy, cheap and easy coral - no zoas.

I'm also thinking that a fish or two might also be nice. I've always liked the small yellow coral gobies, which most people avoid because they pick at hard corals. Would they work in this tank?

What other small fish or invertebrates might be suitable for this small aquarium?

Appreciate any input.

I would skip a deep sand bed in a 10g tank. That is going to take up a lot of tank real estate and if this is going to be her first salt tank she will want all the water volume she can get.

You could probably get away with one koralia 240 in a 10g tank and be just fine for flow. 2 might be a bit too much.

For tank residents a wheelers shrimp goby and a pistol shrimp might make a good pair.

I would skip a deep sand bed in a 10g tank. That is going to take up a lot of tank real estate and if this is going to be her first salt tank she will want all the water volume she can get.

You could probably get away with one koralia 240 in a 10g tank and be just fine for flow. 2 might be a bit too much.

For tank residents a wheelers shrimp goby and a pistol shrimp might make a good pair.

Hhhhhmmm . . . will liverock alone provide sufficient biological filtration? And will the asteria stars be plentiful and reproduce without a deep sandbed? How will the pistol shrimp impact the population of asteria stars given that they are predators?

The live rock should be just fine for filtration. This isn't going to be a heavily stocked tank at all with just 1 small fish and a few inverts. From my understanding the asterinas are algae and detritus eaters, it should be just fine to keep them in a tank without a dsb.

I am not sure about the pistol shrimp eating them though. I hadn't thought about that.

The live rock should be just fine for filtration. This isn't going to be a heavily stocked tank at all with just 1 small fish and a few inverts. From my understanding the asterinas are algae and detritus eaters, it should be just fine to keep them in a tank without a dsb.

I am not sure about the pistol shrimp eating them though. I hadn't thought about that.

Sounds good, we'll go ahead and drop the DSB then. I may have to do some research on the pistol shrimp. I do like the idea of that combination, although I know they are not readily available around here.

Back
Top Bottom