Questions regarding storage of R/O water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StanH

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Santa brought me a R/O unit to make water for my 75 gallon tank... :D
but now I need a place to store it. Where can I get a tank to store the water? Have been searching on the web but am open to suggestions. I am located in the Washington DC/Baltimore corridor and am willing to order on-line as well.

Also, how much water can you safely store and for how long? Should it be pressurized? Should I use what I make during the week?

Should I get a tank to store fresh water and then a second to hold mixed water?

Do you mix salt in an have a powerhead and heater in your pre-mix tank? Anything other advice?

Tank is on main level. R/O unit is in basement near utility sink.

Thanks for your input!

A lot of folks I know, including myself, are using the large Brute Rubbermaid conatiners. The hold their exact volume and are sturdy as all get out. Can be found at most Home Depots and Lowe's, maybe even wally-world. I would only store as much as you are going to need plus some for emergencies. I currently hold about 100g for my 55g tank. This gives me top-off and water change water. I mix in a different conatiner, as well. As far as mixing the salt goes, deffo a powerhead and heater. An auto shut-off valve is great to turn the unit off once storage capacity has been reached and to turn it back on when the levels gets low again.

My RO/DI water deposits directly into a 30gal rubbermaid tub. I just drilled a small hole in the tub for the output hose and attached it to an auto-shutoff valvue. Works great.

Back
Top Bottom