quetion on salt meter and temp for tank - - -got picks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boggerscott

Aquarium Advice Regular
was wondering just were should this arrow be pointing? and what temp should i have the tank at? im finaly getting this thing going thanks to eveyones help.

I would say that you want it to be at least 1.023, I keep my tank around 82 degrees F. Nice lookin set up so far! :wink:

Temperature...?

That's quite warm (82 degrees). I thought that was pretty much right on the upper end of acceptable. I thought 78-80 was more common. Not so?

That's quite warm (82 degrees). I thought that was pretty much right on the upper end of acceptable

Most ppl now a days run tanks between 80 and 82.. I fun my tank in these values as well.. I try and duplicate NSW as much as possible.. Did you know that most of our fish in the summer time the average temps of the water is in the high 80s sometimes low 90s.. 78-80 imo is ok but I would raise it to about 80-82..

HTH<
James

Mine is 82 degrees salt is at 1.024 I try to duplicate natural sea water as well.

What do you plan on adding to the tank? Have you thought of Live Rock lighting requirments yet?

Temp and Salinity

Rats! I just added a cooler because I couldn't maintain temperature below 80 degrees (MH lights). Maybe that decision will pay off this summer when it gets hotter in the house.

Based on your advice, I'm going to raise both my temp and salinity. (I've been running at 1.022).

Thanks!

Another thing to consider in addition to what temp the ocean is would be how specific gravity, salinity and temperature interact. Specific gravity indicates density, while salinity refers to the actual weight of the salt. As the temperature of the water fluctuates so does the density of the water. If you want to see exactly what I am talking about, there is a chart that details it on www.reef-aquarium.net on the educational resources page...Left side, a little ways down. Click on "Salt water and specific Gravity."

Squishy

Back
Top Bottom