QUick advice on copper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishdoc

Aquarium Advice Regular
There is a guy selling off his LR for $1/lb. Says he needs cash soon. He has treated the tank with copper in past. Don't know how long ago. I am just starting up a tank that I hope to be a reef tank. Is there any amount of time that would allow the rock to be safe for corals/inverts. The rock will be going fast so let me know ASAP.
thanks

I wouldn't bother. You could purchase polyfilters and various products to remove copper, but it's not worth the trouble imo.

I wouldn't if you are going with any reef and inverts. Fish only for ever? I see no problem then.

Just don't know how much copper was used and how much will leach. I wouldn't try it.

If anything live is on the rock (which makes it a live rock), then I'd suspect that the copper is gone or permanently reacted and stable with something in the rock. The critters on a live rock that are actually live are those that are most sensitive to copper treatment. I, personally, wouldn't worry about it.

Actually what makes live rock "live" is the bacteria coating all the porous surfaces. Because of the porous surfaces the live rock initially soaks in medications much like a sponge and, over time, releases medications back into the water column at a slower rate than absorbed.

I agree with James. Copper will leach back into the system. The nitrifing bacteria is the "live" part of the rock, it's the same concept of your sand being "live".

Like the other would not Get it. I just had a Buddy a couple months back lose his hole system was doing water changes after water changes cause his SPS were dying off slowly but surely. he tested for Copper everyday wondering what was happening nothing was found. Did almost everything he could possibly imagine even was on RC for awhile trying to get info on what else it could have been. Now this isn't any Tank it was a 250 Gallon Custom Build. After his system crash and was selling everything he checked one last thing to see what it was, it turns out that one of his Pumps on the inside the copper was exposed because of old age. I believe the pump he had was well over 10 years old... But I asked if he every changed it. And Basically if it a broke don't fix. I know this has nothing to do with buying the Live ROCK but just some info and What Copper can really do to your system even if there is the smallest trace you can't find.

I would not get it either. Not worth the trouble. It will be trouble to corals and inverts.

I do give the guy kudos for being up front and honest about it. Seems they are few and far between anymore.

But, yea, I'd pass too

Back
Top Bottom