Quick Aquarium Help Please!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChiTownRomeo

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 50 gallon saltwater aquarium with 60 pounds of live sand and 50 pounds of live rock. I'm on the 3rd floor of a apartment with wood floors. A month into it now the wood floors are creeking in some spots. Should I be worried about the floor falling in? Is on a wall in my bed room but not a exterior wall. Should I move it to another wall? The only other free wall has a bathtub on the other side. Wouldn't that be too much weight?

You want the tank over a load bearing wall. Saltwater averages 9 pounds per gallon. So your tank weights about 600-700 pounds with the rock and tank weight. The bathtub full of water is probably about the same or more. Exterior walls are almost always load bearing.

Speaking as a Joiner it's hard to say without seeing the rooms, is the same wall also below you in room below? If it is then assuming its all structurally sound then you'll be fine.
Adding a big volume of water to a timber floor will always create creeks and groans

Speaking as a Joiner it's hard to say without seeing the rooms, is the same wall also below you in room below? If it is then assuming its all structurally sound then you'll be fine.
Adding a big volume of water to a timber floor will always create creeks and groans

Yes the apartments are the same. There is a wall below in the exact same spot. Is there anyway I can stop the creaking? Maybe screwing the wood down where it creeks?

Thanks anyway for your responses. Don't know what to do as of yet...

Be carefully putting new screws down as there may be cables or pipes under the boards

a lot depends on your stand, is it a wood stand and does the foot print cover several joist, (18inch centers) does it run perpendicular or across the joist. The point of you tub weighs the same is probably true but its weight is divided over a 5 or 6 foot area (spanning 4 joist) I would be more concerned about a flood, (it will happen) either during a water change or by a failure. You could be responsible for thousands of dollars of damage to the 2 apartments below you. Your insurance may or may not cover it. Also does the land lord know and allow. If he doesn't allow, then your insurance probably will not cover it. Which leaves you open to law suite. Just some food for thought.

I've just had a similar situation to yours. Except mine escalated further. My landlord has been doing some work in the flat and we noticed the floor is slightly sloping, cracks in the walls, a huge gap under the door and the door is sticking at the top. It all points towards my aquarium however this has been like it since we moved in 2 years ago. Even though it may not be caused by my aquarium i still had to move it. NIGHTMARE!

Anyhow. Get a structural engineer in to asses the situation and find out whether its in a safe spot. If its not ask him where a safe spot is? Mine nearly ended up in my garage until i could sell it all! Screw that!

I would suggest seeing if you can actually have the aquarium in the first place. Most apartments that I have rented, or know of other people that rented, either allow up to a certain size or they do not allow them at all. Either way, I believe you are liable for damages caused by anything bad happening. Some rental insurance will cover that, but its gotta be that it was ok to have it there in the first place.

Anyhow. Get a structural engineer in to asses the situation and find out whether its in a safe spot. If its not ask him where a safe spot is? Mine nearly ended up in my garage until i could sell it all! Screw that![/QUOTE]

As soon as your landlord sees a structural engineer poking around, you are screwed, lol

Just check the lease. It may say water beds and tanks over a certain size may be prohibited. If that is the case, you need to make your own decisions as you would be liable for any damages (which you are anyways, but with insurance), otherwise, everyone here has good advice. I would be more worried about water damage than structural collapse and that's what the landlord will think about as well. Saltwater dripping into the downstairs owners new 65" tv set is not good.

Last edited:
Yea it's ok by the landlord. Wasn't really worried about that. Just wondered why 3 of the floor boards are creaking. I'm not worried about disaster. No kids or anything so nothing will destroy the tank. I also noticed almost the whole house floor creaking so not really worried. Had a 46 gallon bowfront for a while so I guess a 50 gallon won't be a huge problem. Plus no sump so no added weight. The tank stand is not on 4 legs, it spans the whole distance of the tank.

Floors squeak over time as things settle. If you're wanting to take measures in to your own hands, there's this neat little kit called 'Squeak no more' that they sell at lowes, home depot, an online. It's an awesome kit that solved a few squeaking issues upstairs in my house. On a wood floor, you just drill a small pilot hole, then it has a plastic plate that you put a screw in, screw it down, and the screw breaks at a certain spot leaving only a tiny hole to fill in with putty. Works well through linoleum as well, and has another adapter for carpeted floors.

Floors squeak over time as things settle. If you're wanting to take measures in to your own hands, there's this neat little kit called 'Squeak no more' that they sell at lowes, home depot, an online. It's an awesome kit that solved a few squeaking issues upstairs in my house. On a wood floor, you just drill a small pilot hole, then it has a plastic plate that you put a screw in, screw it down, and the screw breaks at a certain spot leaving only a tiny hole to fill in with putty. Works well through linoleum as well, and has another adapter for carpeted floors.

OK thanks. Going to look into that!!

Back
Top Bottom