Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-24-2012, 06:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quick Aquarium Help Please!!

I have a 50 gallon saltwater aquarium with 60 pounds of live sand and 50 pounds of live rock. I'm on the 3rd floor of a apartment with wood floors. A month into it now the wood floors are creeking in some spots. Should I be worried about the floor falling in? Is on a wall in my bed room but not a exterior wall. Should I move it to another wall? The only other free wall has a bathtub on the other side. Wouldn't that be too much weight?

Old 10-24-2012, 06:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

You want the tank over a load bearing wall. Saltwater averages 9 pounds per gallon. So your tank weights about 600-700 pounds with the rock and tank weight. The bathtub full of water is probably about the same or more. Exterior walls are almost always load bearing.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Speaking as a Joiner it's hard to say without seeing the rooms, is the same wall also below you in room below? If it is then assuming its all structurally sound then you'll be fine.
Adding a big volume of water to a timber floor will always create creeks and groans
Old 10-24-2012, 07:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leedowlrods View Post
Speaking as a Joiner it's hard to say without seeing the rooms, is the same wall also below you in room below? If it is then assuming its all structurally sound then you'll be fine.
Adding a big volume of water to a timber floor will always create creeks and groans
Yes the apartments are the same. There is a wall below in the exact same spot. Is there anyway I can stop the creaking? Maybe screwing the wood down where it creeks?
Old 10-25-2012, 12:37 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks anyway for your responses. Don't know what to do as of yet...
Old 10-25-2012, 02:33 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Be carefully putting new screws down as there may be cables or pipes under the boards
Old 10-25-2012, 03:12 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leedowlrods View Post
Be carefully putting new screws down as there may be cables or pipes under the boards
Ok I will. Just might use some 2 inch wood screws
Old 10-25-2012, 06:50 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

a lot depends on your stand, is it a wood stand and does the foot print cover several joist, (18inch centers) does it run perpendicular or across the joist. The point of you tub weighs the same is probably true but its weight is divided over a 5 or 6 foot area (spanning 4 joist) I would be more concerned about a flood, (it will happen) either during a water change or by a failure. You could be responsible for thousands of dollars of damage to the 2 apartments below you. Your insurance may or may not cover it. Also does the land lord know and allow. If he doesn't allow, then your insurance probably will not cover it. Which leaves you open to law suite. Just some food for thought.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:57 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've just had a similar situation to yours. Except mine escalated further. My landlord has been doing some work in the flat and we noticed the floor is slightly sloping, cracks in the walls, a huge gap under the door and the door is sticking at the top. It all points towards my aquarium however this has been like it since we moved in 2 years ago. Even though it may not be caused by my aquarium i still had to move it. NIGHTMARE!

Anyhow. Get a structural engineer in to asses the situation and find out whether its in a safe spot. If its not ask him where a safe spot is? Mine nearly ended up in my garage until i could sell it all! Screw that!
Old 10-25-2012, 12:46 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would suggest seeing if you can actually have the aquarium in the first place. Most apartments that I have rented, or know of other people that rented, either allow up to a certain size or they do not allow them at all. Either way, I believe you are liable for damages caused by anything bad happening. Some rental insurance will cover that, but its gotta be that it was ok to have it there in the first place.

Tags
aquarium, ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com