Quick begginers Question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TimaT

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone thanks for reading.
My question is about my protein skimmer and its water level.

i bought a (Reef Octopus 6" Pinwheel In Sump Skimmer OCT NWB150) protein skimmer for my 50" tank to place in my 29" sump.

however, i dont know how high it should be in my sump. right now i placed it on some egg crate sheets nearly 10" deep in the water with the valve sticking out of the water a little. (i heard you cant have the skimmer valve totally under water for some reason) But the "water level minimum" label is not met and for it to be fully underwater the whole valve must be underwater.
So i don't know what to do? :banghead:

when i turn my skimmer on, the min water level label gets covered in white bubbles but the bubbles are not reaching the gunk collecting cup. ( maybe because there is nothing to clean yet... i only have RO water in my tank so far)
so should i leave it like that? or place it deeper in water?

so any respond will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

You can adjust the water level with the valve. That's the min you can go up to the max if you want. It's not pulling anything out because there is nothing to pull out. Ro water is purified, and even if it wasn't, you shouldnt have any undissolved organics in your tap water.

Back
Top Bottom