They're 6 months old, but the TDS
reading is still usually from 0 to 3ppm TDS
(very low). I've got new filters to put in the RO
though, just haven't gotten to it.
The water source to my RO
is charcoal filtered - but is still reading around 350PPM TDS
. But the taste and smell is much better than the unfiltered tap water, which is around 450PPM TDS
. (I understand charcoal filtering isn't going to remove solids that well). I'm taking that feed to my RO
. The house has it's own RO
unit that feeds a couple drinking faucets, and the 2 fridges' ice makers and water dispensers, but I don't want to use that for the aquarium.
My _original_ water source when the tank was setup to cycle was tap water from a huge water truck. Treated it with Prime. NOT the best way to go, but I had no choice, the house water wasn't on until a week ago.
I'm doing little daily PWC
's because 1) I can't yet do a big one (25% or so), and 2) because of the clouding issue. And 3) because I'm still gradually lowing the SG
, from a setup reading of 1.026. And 4) the original water source when I setup the tank was probably crap.
The refractometer is giving me slightly lower readings than the swing-arm, which read 1.028 when the refractometer said 1.026.
Param's are all right on - ammonia, nitrite are zero, pH between 8.2 and 8.3 (haven't taken my pH meter out there yet for precise reading). SG
is 1.024 (after numerous small PWC
's over 2 weeks).
Trates are stable around 10. I have enough LR
I'm hoping will handle the trates. Close to 2 pounds per gallon of really pourous rock.
Haven't tested CA
yet. I haven't dosed anything, and my experience with Instant Ocean is that CA
is probably low. I need to get switched to Reef Crystals, which I'll do the next time I order salt. (RC isn't available locally for a price I'm willing to pay).
The clouding isn't really an issue. I think it might have been a bacterial bloom from the cycling. I got this in my first tank (although much much worse). Last night when I checked in around 10PM the water was absolutely crystal clear.
I added filter floss to the XP3, which is probably helping, and 3 12OZ bags of GAC
(2 in the XP3, one in the sump). I'll run them for a few more weeks and toss them - I'm not a fan of that stuff, but it seems to have helped.