Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-14-2004, 08:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quick fix needed for water evaporation

Hey all,

I've got a 3 week old reef 75 gallon reef aquarium going and the water level is low causing my filter to blow air. Is there a quick fix until the aquarium shop opens tomorrow and I can get some salt water? Ok to leave the filter off over night?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Bill

Old 03-14-2004, 08:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to WarOrks15 Send a message via MSN to WarOrks15
well do you have some freah water to add to get the water level up? you want to add freshwater to replace the water that has evaporated.

Old 03-14-2004, 08:30 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

All I have is bottled spring water. Will that work?
Old 03-14-2004, 08:36 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Though I am far from an expert, I have heard that that will work thought it is darn pricey. I assume that you are talking about the huge water cooler jugs and not the litlle water bottles, cause that would be just a waste of money (IMO).

We use the large water cooler bottles to keep the levels up on our tank. I would just make sure that if you need to add a lot of it, that you check the specific gravity, and if it is low add some salt (has to be aquarium salt definately not table salt).

Hope that that helps and holds you over until you can get to the petstore.

Here is what I have now...

29 gal tank
aquaclear 200
prizm skimmer
maxijet 900 powerhead
100W (maybe 150W) heater, but heating isnt a prob
1.5 inches of crushed coral
some decoration stuff including a couple peices of old dried coral.) Not sure if it is real to be honest...
Crappy lights that I am going to rebuild, just for come flourescents
excited_newby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 09:20 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to WarOrks15 Send a message via MSN to WarOrks15
well i make my own i detox it and add it to the water or if i get to the lfs i buy some ro/di water and add that. just make sure you sq dose not take a big hit when you add it. you can really only move your sq up or down .001 a day without harming stuff.
Old 03-15-2004, 05:17 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

As long as your tank has power heads in it to move the water around, it will be fine untill tomorrow (provided the salinity isnt too high.) Just turn the pump off untill you can get to the LFS today. Its not uncommon at all for my sump to evaporate enough off in one day that the power head will create a whirl pool and suck in air. I just throw the switch, leave the power heads running, and refill it the next morning.

You can run a tank w/ LR, LS, power heads, and a skimmer. Its called a Berlin system. I ran one for years w/ no problems.

Squishy

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
SquishyFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com