quick q on mag drive prefilters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dropped

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i'm going to be running a mag9.5 in my sump into a scwd. do i need to use the mag drive prefilter that comes with it? reason i ask is because it dosen't fit in the return area i built!

thanks

If you can get it to fit I would use it. The reason is that it will help filter the water going into the pump and thru the sqwd. Over a few weeks time you will see the prefilter get fairly dirty and you can just imagen how your impellers and the sqwd's internal components would be after prolonged exposure to that.

got to ask where you guys buy your mag drives that they give you a sponge filter ive bought 3 (7/9.5/24)and never got one kinda wierd if ya ask me ?!?!?!

scuba_steve said:
got to ask where you guys buy your mag drives that they give you a sponge filter ive bought 3 (7/9.5/24)and never got one kinda wierd if ya ask me ?!?!?!

Me neither.

i don't have a sponge filter...all i have is a prefilter that's a plastic strainer type thing.

BTW i got it to fit!! thanks

I get mine online. Last one I got was from captivereeefs I belive. Or was it captiverasedcorals? I cant remember. Either are great guys to work with.

I just got a mag drive 9.5 off of big als (59.99) and you have to buy the sponge separately. I was scanning throung the website before I ordered and saw the sponge part, and bought it.

Thats crazy. You gotta order the sponge seperate? I have always seen it come in the box with the pump and strainer. Maybe one of our sponsors can chime in on this as to when they are included from the factory and when they are not.

I just bought my mag 9 from Marinedepot.com and it came with the sponge. I've bought 3 different Mag pumps for my other tanks and all came with the sponge. I think it's just wrong to take it out and sell it separately.

From Drsfostersmith:
These energy-efficient, magnetic drive pumps have only one moving part. Specially designed to run continuously either in-line or submersed. Very low maintenance with an easy-clean pre-filter. Ideal for fresh or saltwater aquariums. Complete with base prefilter and 10 ft. power cord.

Seems like theirs come with a prefilter, but their 9.5 is $10 more than Bigals.

Back
Top Bottom