Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-19-2011, 03:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quick question

So I woke up this morning and my fish were at the top of the tank. I quickly checked my equipment and think i found the problem. I have a HOB overflow and I don't think it is working. By this I mean there is no water coming out of the other end of the tube for the wet/dry filter and the water level in my sump is low while the water level in my tank is high and the water at the surface is not moving at all, which leads me to believe there is no circulation in the tank and the fish aren't getting air. Is there any sites that show how to work on them or anything? Could it just be a clog? I have never had a problem with this before, any help is very appreciated.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You need to turn off the return pump, make sure your overflow is not clogged, and get a powerhead aimed at the surface for oxygen exchange

Old 07-19-2011, 03:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Alright I got the return pump off and the water slowly went down below the overflow box's level. Is that proof right there it isn't clogged? I know somethings wrong though because I havn't had this oxygen problem before....And my protein skimmer in my sump isn't making any bubbles anymore either....everything going wrong at once great lol
Old 07-19-2011, 03:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'm fairly sure the water that drained was just going back down the return tube.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:57 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yea it will create a reverse flow if it doesnt have a siphon break in the return. Watch that your sump doesnt overflow. Sounds to me that the overflow is clogged. Protein skimmer could be malfunctioning because of the water level change in the sump
Old 07-19-2011, 04:33 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Where is the most likely place it would be clogged?
Old 07-20-2011, 10:27 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Havn't been able to find the clog yet any ideas?

Tags
ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com