Quick question!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sHistA

Aquarium Advice Regular
about the cycle should i have my skimer on with the air tube closed so there is no bubbles to remove waistes so the cycle can go faster? and do i ever take the shrimp out? and should i start testing the second day after i put in the shrimp?

you don't need to have the skimmer running, you can just let the shrimp rot for awhile, the more bacteria it throws off the better the cycle will be, you need to test for ammonia, and nitrite after a few days and then for nitrate, as soon as ammonia and nitrite are gone you are set, there is nothing fast about cycling, so be patient because it is the most important part in the early set up of a young tank.

You don't need to skim during the cycle unless you have LR in the tank. If you do have LR then you may want to run a skimmer and keep ammonia and nitrite levels down to help preserve any life in/on the rock.

today i tested for amonia(27 hrs after cycle) and i got ph 8.0. ammonia 1.0 ppm. nitrite 0. nitrate0. am i going good so far? about when will the ammonia drop and nitrite raise?? and do i ever take the shrimp out?

Looks good. It will take a few days for the ammonia to top out. I'm not familiar with your tank. What are you using to cycle with?

how much of the shrimp is rotted away.....you're ammonia will raise more, and won't go down for close to a month probably, try testing for nitrites in a few days, or a week even, then check the nitrates 10 days down the road, it really isn't a fast process, just need to be patient.

You probably won't need to remove the shrimp. It will just rot away. I would test weekly but like Nels said it will take a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom