Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-08-2004, 10:49 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quick question about clowns hosting in Bubble coral....

My Rose anemone got sucked into my PH and within hours my GMclown hosted in my bubble coral. The bubble doesn't seem to mind that he's there (he doesn't even close up because of him), but can the clown harm the bubble.

I ask because I bought the clown as a pair with the anemone and it seems like he wants to host something whatever it is, so can I just leave him in the bubble or will he eventually kill it from snuggling with it to much?

thanks

Old 12-08-2004, 12:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to foma2000
the buble and the clown fish are natural partners. its perfectly fine for the clownfish to snuggle with the buble anenome. its saposed to happen. ive never heard of a clown fish harming its host anenome. in fact, its good for the anenome because the clown fish will bring down extra food on its body and the anenome will clean/eat it off.

Old 12-08-2004, 12:34 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Foma I think he is talking about Bubble Coral not anemone.
Old 12-08-2004, 12:38 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to foma2000
well he said both bubble anenome and coral. but opps. sory about that. forget my advice. i know nothing about bubble corals
Old 12-08-2004, 12:46 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It's not really a great thing that clowns host in bubbles corals or any LPS. when the clown is snuggling, the fleshy part of coral might be pushed, rubbed, etc into the calcerous skeleton of the coral causing rips, tears, damage, etc to the fleshy parts.

Did you throw your rose anemone out? depending on how bad the anemone got mutulated it still can be saved. The anemone should be able to pull itself out from the powerhead. Pulling the anemone out yourself might cause even more damage. But you should unplug the powerhead(common sense).

Next time you know now that you should anemone proof your tank by covering the intakes of powerheads, filters, etc with a sponge or something
klam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 02:19 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by klam
It's not really a great thing that clowns host in bubbles corals or any LPS. when the clown is snuggling, the fleshy part of coral might be pushed, rubbed, etc into the calcerous skeleton of the coral causing rips, tears, damage, etc to the fleshy parts.

Did you throw your rose anemone out? depending on how bad the anemone got mutulated it still can be saved. The anemone should be able to pull itself out from the powerhead. Pulling the anemone out yourself might cause even more damage. But you should unplug the powerhead(common sense).

Next time you know now that you should anemone proof your tank by covering the intakes of powerheads, filters, etc with a sponge or something
The anemone got sucked all of the way through the screen and to the other side. It was completely mangled. very sad state of affairs, really though I don't understand why it felt the need to move toward that thing every chance it got. I mean it would sit n the same spot for weeks and then go for the powerhead. I really don't even know how he got into it ther was a "fence" of branching tonga aroung it and then a screen on the intake.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:13 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

yeah anemone have a mind of their own. Never know when they decide to pack up and move. It's a learning experiance.

klam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bubble, bubble coral, clown, clowns, coral, ick, sting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com